Railroad Forums 

• Railfan Day

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #462388  by BMT

Does anyone know whatever happenned to Railfan Day? Not sure which Railroad was the prime sponsor, but I do recall that LIRR, NYCH and SBK would bring out the engines, run trains in the street and show folks how they make up trains in Bush yard.

In years past there was usually photo coverage of this event in RailPace or Trains magazines.

I never attended (never knew the dates), but I do know some folks that attended back in the 90's. I suspect that these "Railfan Days" pre-dated the Ops of NYA.

#462420  by Dump The Air

Honestly, I see why there aren't any more "railfan days", if I was working in a yard trying to put together a train I wouldn't want phoaming buffs crawling over everything.

#462434  by Nova55

NYCH and SBK did them. Last one was in 1993 to my knowledge, ended when NYRR took over.

#462459  by BMT

Damn! :( The last one was THAT long ago?! What a bummer.....anyhow, at least I was on the last run of the D-Type subway cars that included a run over the remaining SBK trackage out to the interchange yard on 2nd Ave. The subway cars were sandwiched between the SBK engines.