Railroad Forums 

• Rail service to Calverton?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #970644  by tahawus84

The train showed up today with a 270, 271, 259, a tank car, cover hopper and a hack. 259 and the 3 cars were left out there. They spotted it all the way at the end of the spur by metro.
They still have a switch that leads to nowhere on the spur. Anyone know what its for?

#970694  by workextra

Does the NYAR have exclusive operating rights on these tracks or could LI MoW use this facility too if need be?
Is this restored branch still owned by the LIRR and leased to the NYAR for freight use?
 #970792  by rb

I wonder if the hack is going to live out there and be used as a shoving platform.
 #971322  by freightguy

Good write up today 9/15 Newsday w pics of NYAR photo op train in Calverton. Interesting fact the Bio Diesel facility in Greenpoint, BK(LIC) maybe one of the largest in country when complete. See how this operation is when it gets into full swing. Some cars will be transfered between there and Metro in Calverton. Apparently those tracks built in Blissville a few yrs back will tie into this. An intra-island move with cars not leaving LIRR property.
 #971362  by mirrodie

Indeed a surprising read inNewsday as I didnt know it was mainly for biodiesel.

would love to drive and American car fueled by biodiesel (not that mercedes or Audi shit)
 #971580  by NYCS

I've been researching METRO's plans for the mixture and distribution of biofuels, and I was hoping that rail would be used to import at least some of the biofuel additives (soy oil, canola oil, beef tallow, etc.) to the Greenpoint facility. However, METRO's website states that these biofuel additives will be shipped in by barge. Someone above mentioned Blissville Yard tying into the whole plan, with there being dedicated runs between Blissville and the distribution facility in Calverton. Can someone confirm?

Using barge for the biofuel additives doesn't make much sense to me, however, as most of biofuel additives are grown and processed in the landlocked Midwest (the Dakotas, Minnesota, etc.) where the primary transportation mode is by rail. Wouldn't it make sense, then, for METRO to import these biofuel additives by rail as well? I understand METRO's location along Newtown Creek and that barge is the most economical way of shipping large bulk commodities, but why not just grab a string of tank cars from the Midwest and have them waybilled to Blissville? Seems to me this would be more economical, since there would be no trans-loading to barge. Blissville could also serve two purposes: importing the biofuel additives to Greenpoint, and exporting the finished biofuel mixtures to Calverton. I wonder if this has even ever been considered? Also, is Blissville's utilization in METRO's Greenpoint-Calverton run actually confirmed?
 #971728  by DogBert

That the time Blissville was rebuilt, I heard it was for the fuel depot. That was like 3 years ago though.

WM is going to redevelop a facility nearby, and the last I heard they were going to truck the containers down a few hundred feet to blissville and load the containers there. This is suppose to happen in the next year or two.

Lastly, greenpoint is the other side of the creek. Blissville is LIC, or just plain blissville... there haven't been tracks to greenpoint in over a decade.
 #971745  by mainline

The dedication ceremony train was picked up by the RS60 today. MP15AC 159, hopper, tank car , caboose and GP38-2's 261 and 271 left around 2:00 pm.
 #971774  by freightguy

The huge costumer they lose out to over there by barge is the scrap matel processor. He loads the scrap into barges then ships it out of Bayonne/Jersey City to the midwest mills via CR Shared Assets. That move would probably be like 15 to 20 gondolas a day. It would be more impressive to watch NYAR trying to bring that up Mt Olivet hill near Maspeth. I heard from an NYA manager about the Blissville move. I guess time will tell. Unfortunately I think the new costumers will get a taste of LIRR restoring service Modus Operundi(Greenport) if it's a bad winter. Keeping the Calverton spur clear for 3 miles is a whole different battle in one of coldest parts of LI Pine Barrens. Rotary plow?