Railroad Forums 

• Rail removal at Bush Terminal

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1081415  by Sir Ray

Mr rt wrote:Nice spread in September issue of RailPace, starting with cover photo.
I mentioned that last week in the NYNJ sightings forum - also where several of the images (or similiar) ones were posted by the author of that article (posts here as Dauntless) and that in the ending shot of the carfloat, the graffitti on the gondola side was obscured in Railpace
 #1194040  by Sir Ray

Realizing that I haven't been out that way since August 2012 (this board really does make you aware of the passage of time - you see a post of yours, then when you check the date - "Whaaa? I posted that 8 months ago!?!").

Anyway, this thread has been idle for quite a while, and the NYNJ thread isn't much more active.

Generally when someone from the board is around an area of interest, they post an update, so possibly nobody's been around 1st Avenue lately.

But, if anyone has been in the area recently (and didn't report - not very nice!):
DId they ever finish the 1st Avenue trackage rebuild?
How about the siding into Yee Pin (or whatever that chinese food company is)?
Is the Marine Terminal trackage finally finished? Any of it in use?
Now, with floating ONLY into 65th Street, is Bush Terminal yard used for anything?
How's the rebuilding of the SBK yard on 38th?
Are they done rebuilding trackage around the Army Terminal?
 #1194044  by DogBert

Last time I was down there (sometime in the spring) the yee pan (?) switch was in place but the siding was still removed.

Inside the auto terminal, I believe all the track is in place, though I'm not sure if they connected the pier siding and SIMS. I'm pretty sure the MTA is done fixing up their yard over on 3rd ave.

The bush terminal yard was dead. No cars at all except for that one boxcar that never moves.
 #1194277  by rscott417

I was wondering all the same questions, ill drive by tomorrow on my way home from work. Or later in the week when its not raining.
 #1195887  by jtunnel

As mentioned, switch is in, but no connection to the siding at the Chinese distributor. DDC still has some sewer work to do over there.

EDC is still working on the rest of the project. The Feds are tearing down the old coal power power plant in industry city that's occupied by the prison.

NYCT must be seeing some interchange, I've not been able to catch it. Another Brookville locomotive was delivered last week. NYNJ keeps the loaded flat in the fenced in area at 65th Street where they store the locomotive overnight. I've yet to catch them moving the flat for unloading.

I caught NY&A making the interchange a few weeks ago, an early morning move. I had heard them around 8-9PM previously (I'm about four blocks from 65th Street)

I shot a quick Iphone video this morning on my way home from work:

http://youtu.be/SE3E62g2Alk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1196050  by freightguy

Gershow recycling has shipped out a few cars recently not sure if from their Medford( LI) or Brooklyn those are the gons.
 #1197068  by mediccjh

That would explain how the cars lined up along the (N) line one morning at 3 am on my first run were all gone by my second run around rush hour.

When does the Barge bring cars over? Anyone have a schedule idea?
 #1202845  by rscott417

Drove along 1st ave this morning and noticed a ramp in bush terminal, unloading the MTA engines?
I also walked by 65th street yard and didnt see any of the geeps that everyone seems to be talking about
 #1202868  by freightguy

That's a good guess, both NYRR and NYA used those previously to unload the subway cars for NYCTA. The road master now deceased built that ramp and the one that was off of track 9 in Fresh Pond for New York and Atlantic.
 #1203279  by mikey cruz

That ramp is actually one the new ones that MPi built for the MTA, there's another new one in the SBK yard right at the BQE. Or it could be the actual ramp was moved, maybe NYCT was havin problems unloadin in that little yard.
 #1205806  by Sir Ray

mikey cruz wrote:That ramp is actually one the new ones that MPi built for the MTA, there's another new one in the SBK yard right at the BQE. Or it could be the actual ramp was moved, maybe NYCT was havin problems unloadin in that little yard.
I was going thru some RailPace issues, and I believe the May 2013 issue has an answer.
There are two images, the first is the MPI locomotive tarped and riding on a 89ft flat car (I believe it's a National Steel flatcar, the style with "Wheel Wells"), bracketed by 2 NYCT switchers on First Avenue.
The text states "Due to the flat car's length, it could not negotiate the tight curves nears 39th Street between Third and Second Avenue. NYCT train crews brought the unit back to NYNJ Bush terminal yard where...the [was] engine unloaded using a temporary ramp"
This was according to the image caption March 21, 2013, and so that ramp could be the "temporary" one mentioned in the caption.

The second image is the MPI locomotive being hauled along SBK trackage on it's own wheels to NYCT property.
 #1206030  by mikey cruz

Interestin because they have brought loco's that way before all the way to the NYCT ramp and I thought they were usin the same flat for the job...............hmmm. Thanks for the info Sir Ray!