Railroad Forums 

• Rail removal at Bush Terminal

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1044582  by rscott417

So they delivered them via NY&A not 1st ave/38th st, that makes more sense because I just drove down first avenue about an hour ago and the street and track are no where near done.
 #1044724  by mikey cruz

Yea, and just a lil bit ago it was sighted on the IRT headin towards 239st yard, the consist had a crane in it but I'm guessin it's just bein moved because I doubt OS916 is open road certified yet.
 #1053698  by rscott417

Track Arrangement Update for 39th Street yard: I walked around the vehicle distribution area and saw that theres 2 switches that connect the 2 siding tracks, i used the picture from the NYNJ Rail website to pin point where im talking about. I thought I was pushing my luck just being in there so i didnt try to take pictures but ill try again Thursday. Anyway the red dots are where the switches are.
 #1054599  by rscott417

These are the 2 switches I was referring to.
And these are, from what i've read, going to be SIMS and the lead track to SIMS
 #1058385  by deandremouse

The FRA was there today inspecting the track to see if it meets "their" standards.

Not much was done today

#1069745  by jtunnel

This probably belongs over on the Transit thread, but I've posted other photos here before.

NYCT has been busy over at the SBK Yard off Third Avenue:
New concrete track bed.
http://jtunnel.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... id=3134104
http://jtunnel.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... id=3134105

But not connected (yet)
http://jtunnel.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... id=3134106
 #1070018  by mikey cruz

Broadway Lion on subchat posted pics of them layin the slab and I thought what in the world are they doin? That used to be a small siding way back, do you know what they are doin?
 #1076287  by Sir Ray

I have nothing to add to this thread because...looks like nothing has happened in the past 3 weeks.

I was passing thru Bay Riddge yesterday, and of course that gave an excuse to check out the First avenue work. Nothing really seems to have been done since the last updates to this thread. I can't vouch for the orange cone pile, but the future Yi-Pin siding is still unfinished, with a gaping hole in the N/B lane at that point which the rails just hang over (First Avenue N/B is closed at that point, and the detour follows the old Cross Harbor routing East up 41st and left onto 2nd Avenue. Are they still working on the sewer/water pipes there?

I don't have the credentials (under rscott) to enter the Marine Terminal (and I didn't have the guts to walk up to the guard booth off 39th and ask if I could take pictures) but I did notice dozens of vehicles parked over the 2 tracks entering the terminal from First Avenue. There was only 1 boxcar in the 50th street yards, although admittedly over the past few years that has not seem to have been a beehive of activity at any rate (if you Bird's eye view the yard in Bing, which seems usually a few years old regardless of the copyright date, there's usually 3-4 cars visible in the yard). I suppose everything moved to 65th street, which is not as goot from a railfan perspective (although probably much better from railroad operations perspective) - although looks like you can get a good elevated side view of that yard from the Belt Parkway East/bound (don't get on the Gowanus at the split unless you want to go to Staten Island) - one of the absolute few times you'd wouldn't mind being in slow-moving traffic in the outside lane.

Forgot to take 38th street to view the SBK yard upgrade progress (D'oh!), however, I did deviate out of the way north to check the former BEDT Kent Ave terminal (inspired by the BEDT page of Goldstein' Instrudial and Offline Terminal site) - the area architecturally seems rather indistiguishable from the Long Island City residental redevolpments (rather SimCity 4 like), although there were more Hipsters ambling along the streets. No real trace of the BEDT history left (yes, I realize some buildings have been repurposed), except for the 2 sections of track embedded in concrete that used to be part of the bulk flour terminal, now part of the waterfront park.

Depressing all around for railfanning - as for First Avenue right now, even with the new tracks, I am reminded of a quote from Jay Bendersky's 1988 book "Brooklyn's Waterfront Railways" (which at that time inspired me to start checking out Bush Terminal back then) - "Business has never been worse!" (I hope 65th street yard is booming, else we are in BIG trouble).
 #1076313  by rscott417

Sir Ray wrote: I don't have the credentials (under rscott) to enter the Marine Terminal (and I didn't have the guts to walk up to the guard booth off 39th and ask if I could take pictures)
Haha I actually drove my car right in the entrance on 2nd aveune and 32nd street. There was a guy in a security pick up truck but i figured the worst he can do is tell me I wasn't allowed in, but didn't say anything to me. I actually drove down 1st aveune saturday morning on my home from work and noticed everything you mentioned, it seems deserted all along there. You can get a really good view of the 65th street yard on 2nd avenue and 65th street on the over pass.