Railroad Forums 

• Rail removal at Bush Terminal

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1041794  by Sir Ray

Interesting recent update to the "Industrial & Offline Terminal Railroads" site (I believe the site owner - Philip Goldstein? - is a poster on this board) on the NYNJ Railroad page:
All trackwork from 43rd Street through 39th Street was expedited in anticipation of start up of rail service to and through South Brooklyn Marine Terminal, and before a planned sewer realignment project was to commence. But this rail traffic did not materialize. Now, realignment of sanitary & storm sewer lines has commenced (April 2012) to avoid being under street trackage and has required removal of this new segment of trackage between 40th - 39th Streets. Upon completion, trackage will be reinstalled.
Also, this expedited track segment did not provide a turnout and siding for the customer "Yi Pin" at 40th Street and customer(s) began offloading in Bush Terminal Yard. When the sewer realignment project is completed, permanent trackage will be installed INCLUDING a new turnout and siding at 40th Street for "Yi Pin". This work is expected to be completed late May / early June 2012.
Well, that's an interesting take on this - anyone else can confirm/deny/update. Mr Goldstein, if you read this, can you comment on this info perhaps? How solid is it that the 40th St siding will be reinstalled? And why was the trackage expedited in the first place, such that they have to now dig it up and replace it again? What sort of 'rush' rail service was expected?
 #1041956  by rscott417

Glad to see some sort of explanation
Sir Ray wrote: What sort of 'rush' rail service was expected?
Maybe those MTA locos?
 #1041995  by Sir Ray

rscott417 wrote:Glad to see some sort of explanation
Well, it is a bit second hand info, so you get what you pay for.
I believe Mr Goldstein posts as "BEDT 14", and last posted March...so we may have to wait a bit for confirmation.
Unless there are others in the know (heck, sometimes I wonder if even the Port Authority is in the know?)
 #1042235  by BEDT 14

Hello All!

Trackage info comes from Benjamin W, Schaffer, from his inquires of both the contractors performing the work and employee of NYNJ Rail.

As for the 40th Street turnout, I hear the tenant isn't happy having to unload in BT Yard and wants a siding back, so it was agreed upon.

And yes, the first TA diesels went into Linden via CSXT Hell Gate and NY&A, bypassing NYNJ Rail. (Boo-o-o! Would been nice to get 'em on carfloats.

In all honesty, from all my years of research, I go by the idiom: Believe not of what you hear and only half of what you see with your own eyes. There always seems to be a back story.

Happenings are developing quick in Brooklyn. By the time I get info confirmed, it's old news. I wish I would get actual official "heads up" by PANYNJ / NYNJRail, but I doubt that's gonna happen.

Naturally, if you guys get wind of anything, feel free to contribute.

All the best!

Phil
Last edited by BEDT 14 on Wed May 02, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1042246  by JoeRailRoad

JoeRailRoad wrote:
mikey cruz wrote:The first MTA loco was delivered to Linden Yard over NYA yesterday.
More info about the locomotives can be found here.
http://www.mta.info/news/stories/?story=663

Joe
I found a photo here.
http://twitpic.com/9ghk14/full

Joe

Edit:
Here's links to a couple of more pictures.

http://twitpic.com/9ghm59/full

http://twitpic.com/9ghns5/full

Also a friend sent a link of the OL912 being moved thru DeKalb Ave. Station.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpmXr-F3 ... =g-all-lik
Last edited by JoeRailRoad on Thu May 03, 2012 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1042887  by mikey cruz

I wonder how much $ NYNJ will lose because of the sewer job preventing the R156 order from being shipped over them, I hope they make the city repay them.
 #1043525  by BEDT 14

Here are my thoughts. Not being part of the org, or privy to the financial workings of the agency, I speak from logic (and hearsay):

Even if they (NYNJR) loses this move, they are supposed to get the work of transferring the remainder of the order of inbound R156 locomotives. So loss might be neglible. Naturally, this remains to be seen.

Also outbound subway cars are supposed to go out NYNJR. Again, this remains to be seen.

Remember something else: NYNJ Rail is owned by Port Authority New York & New Jersey. A bi state government agency. I don't know how the charter is written, but I figure if one government agency (NYCTA) "renegs" on a contract, it's not really a monetary loss like it would be with a private company ownership owning NYNJR. NYNJR just puts a loss in their budget sheet, and tries to recoup the loss with budget appropriations the following fiscal budget.

While an actual physical movement on trackage demonstrates the ability to do so, having the infrastructure to handle those movements is necessary. i.e.: What would have been the outcome if NYNJR hauled the R156 on the new trackage and it collapsed the sewer line? The track would sag, R156 loco possibly topple into or over the collapsed area and now you have to hire wreckers / rigger, The R156 possibly and most likely damaged, resulting in insurance claim for the R156 and the flat car it was on, damage possibly on NYNJR equipment, an inquiry into the whole mess, etc. If you think about it, it would be quite a bit more in expense and embarrassment to NYNJR then just one lost move. And such an incident it would bring into doubt about NYNJR's perceived future ability for movements and that might also result in greater loss of traffic.

We'll see what the future brings, but I'll will say this: I would rather see "northern" movements on NYNJR trackage (43 - 39th Streets) delayed an extra month or two to ensure it's done right over quality trackage and roadbed, rather than rush something through just for the sake of "publicity".

Something else: must realize more money has been pumped into NYNJR infrastructure in last 3 years than in its predecessor. Unified livery, trackwork, etc. Gotta start somewhere and anything worth doing, is worth doing well. As long as we don't face an abandonment and another Fallen Flag, let them take all the time they need!

All the best!

Phil
 #1044195  by freightguy

In that case it will probably be shoved in Linden Blvd. to the TA yard located there. This is where they took delivery of the new subway cars when NYA unloaded them in Fresh Pond. For those not familiar with Linden Blvd is a big NYCTA hub where they keep work train sets and other supplies in Brooklyn. Not a big subway buff or rider exact name of facility escapes me just the street it parallels.
 #1044204  by BEDT 14

mikey cruz wrote:Actually I just saw that the R156 DID come NYNJ and was run up the NYA instead of right into the system.
Mike, where did you view that info? Would like to confirm so I can correct my webpage on SBK...

@Freightguy: all references refer to the facility as "Linden Shops". It is bordered by Rockaway Ave, Linden Boulevard, Bay Ridge Division trackage (which parellels Avenue D.)

The following streets end or begin at Linden, because the Linden Shops property is a multi block parcel of land with no through streets: Osborn, Watkins and Mother Gaston Boulvard (formerly Stone Avenue which did in fact connect to Avenue D, via undergrade the Bay Ridge Branch, but this thoroughfare was closed off sometime after 1949 and Linden Shops took over the space formerly occupied by the street).

Have a great day y'all!
Phil