• Rail removal at Bush Terminal

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  • 94 posts
  by DogBert

Inside the lot where the auto facility is, tracks are also laid from the pier, running northeast and paralleling 2nd ave. Hard to see this from the street - I only got to see it from being inside one of the warehouse on 2nd ave around 38th street.
  by rscott417

Drove passed the yard today and saw Railroad Construction working on lead track into the yard right after the 1st Avenue/carfloat switch. Not exactly rail removal but didn't know where else to post this.
  by rscott417

jtunnel wrote:Some photos of the new tracks for NYNJRR.

http://jtunnel.rrpicturearchives.net/ar ... x?id=74434
been awhile since these pictures were taken, anyone know if the tracks are complete or even connected to anything in 39th st yard? last time i was there that lot was filled with cars all parked on the tracks and couldnt see much, whats the deal??
  by Ðauntless

Its all done. Just waiting for the port to open.
  by rscott417

oh ok, what is the yard going to be used for, is NYNJ Rail going to start shipping automobiles?
  by kamerad47

Do we know what the new track plan is ?? & what they are going to use it for ?????
  by rscott417

JoeRailRoad wrote:Only if they can pull & load auto racks at the float bridges at Bush or 65th Street.
http://www.bnsf.com/customers/pdf/Tri-Level-Specs.pdf

Joe
Only reason i asked is because on this website, http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/nynjr.html under the South Brooklyn Marine Terminal section it has the 2003 proposal of the new track plan with a vehicle processing center and a rail car loading area. Now that there is no train traffic to 2nd avenue i don't believe theres any height restrictions anymore (2nd Ave & 41st St. corner loft building) maybe power lines but nothing taller poles can't fix.

kamerad47 wrote:Do we know what the new track plan is ?? & what they are going to use it for ?????
The same website has this 2011 overview of a track plan that looks nothing like the above so i really dont know what they're going to do there.
I was also wondering how they're going to bring rail cars back to bush from the cargo shed along 39th street where it says Berth 1. Are they going to push the cars back on 1st ave? i dont see a track for the engine to pull the cars out of the siding then run-around to the front and lead the train back
  by JoeRailRoad

I've heard that the City wants the tracks on 1st Ave. to be ripped up so that the sewers and storm drains can be removed from under the rail bed.

The work is supposed to be completed by the end of May.

Anyone hear any more on this?

Joe
  by rscott417

JoeRailRoad wrote:I've heard that the City wants the tracks on 1st Ave. to be ripped up so that the sewers and storm drains can be removed from under the rail bed.

The work is supposed to be completed by the end of May.

Anyone hear any more on this?

Joe
When you say the work is supposed to be done by the end of May, are you talking about rail removed, sewers removed and rails replaced by the end of May?? I don't see that being possible after how long it took the original project.
  by deandremouse

The new connection to the SBK, (well redone connection) is part of the work done for the delivery of new subway locomotives, MP 8AC-3s coming in via NYNJ rail.

http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/inde ... comotives/
  by Mr rt

I wouldn't call the "2011 overview plan" a current one.
This looks like a very old track plan ... 1950s ?

The track that comes west along 39th street is SKB (South Brooklyn Ry, aka NYC Transit).
Currently it goes into yard that replaced the "Cargo Shed" at "Berth 1".
There is no track to 1st Ave from there,
as a matter of fact there is no tracks North or any yard between 33rd & 36th road.
What there is in that area is remants of a single track north on 2nd Ave with numerious street switches to the east.
South of 39th a train would come out of the yard onto 2nd Ave.

The existing yard is west of 1st Ave between 43rd & 50th streets.
Continuing further south of there is the float dock, at 50th & track going back onto 1st Ave that continue to the Brooklyn Army Terminal A-N-D
a connection with NY & Atl and the NYC DOT float dock at 65th street
  by Ðauntless

The "2011 overview" is exactly what is there now. You need to go down there and take a look, because thats how it was when I was there 2 weeks ago. The yard is in the terminal property. Everything changed down there last year. Look through the pix on here, theres photos of it all.