Railroad Forums 

• rail line from Mansfield to Taunton

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #52962  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

in this time table, it says there used to be a rail line from Mansfield to Taunton. When did this line get torn-up? Where did it used to go? And if it was here today, where would it connect, if it would, w/ the NEC in Mansfield? thanks

Oh, and what Taunton rail station did they use for this line? The one on the Dean St. branch?

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=45656
 #52980  by GP40MC1118

Matt:

I can't remember when it was torn up, but it was probably the late
fifties.

The line ran from Mansfield south to the Attleboro mainline and
joined up at Fremont Street (Attleboro Jct). Part of it exists from
Fremont St to the Myles Standish Industrial Park (just south of
Crane St).

There was a wye/connector track between the Mansfield line and
the Attleboro that probably got pulled up after WWII. I have seen
MBTA aerial photos of the mainline here and it clearly shows the
connector track.

Dave
 #53116  by Howiew

I like the April, 1937 timetable. Trains 819 &502 are free for persons with last names ending with the letter R and Leos. Even back then cell phones were not permitted on trains. :-) Train 502 had to be the best one, they had Dunkin Donuts available.
 #53123  by eddiebear

Several high speed grade crossings on the Shore Line at Mansfield were elmininated by lowering the streets. The Mansfield-Taunton line was not included in the change of street layout at Taunton and the line was stub ended not very far south of the Mansfield Station. This was done in 1955-56 or thereabouts. The stub-ended line, Whittenton Jct.-Mansfield (I think the employee timetable said South Main St.) lasted until about 1965 and was then torn up as all the business had evaporated.
Night freight FC-1, CF-2 between Fall River and Framingham ran with a caboose on each end for many years. Cutting the connection at Mansfield sent this train to run via Attleboro, into Track 4 and then engines would run around train and haul it to Framingham. Reverse move in the opposite direction. Allowing the connection to be broken at Mansfield probably cost the New Haven maybe an hour in each direction plus extra mileage for the crew, more fuel for the engines, more costs for the second caboose, etc.