Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1429122  by DogBert

I was wondering if anyone knew of any official passenger capacity number for the R68 cars? There's good info on the newer cars in wikipedia, but the R68 article only mentions seating capacity, not standing.
 #1429330  by Allan

DogBert wrote:I was wondering if anyone knew of any official passenger capacity number for the R68 cars? There's good info on the newer cars in wikipedia, but the R68 article only mentions seating capacity, not standing.

I am not sure there is an 'official" standing capacity. During the rush hours as many people as possible will squeeze into a car and I am sure that varies depending on the width of many passengers.
 #1429601  by DogBert

The new cars have them listed - R160 trailer cars are 56 seating 202 standing, according to the design spec. The R68 is 70 seated, but there's no standing data - I'm assuming it's roughly the same or less than modern cars due to the extra length of the cars & extra seating. The MTA does have some internal metric for how many people can actually cram in there, though I don't think it is published anywhere publicly. It IS all theoretical though when faced with the brutal reality of rush hours.