Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#986937  by RWERN

I guess you'll have to do another one for when the extension opens. Eventually, these kinds of videos will be impossible to do since the going trend for rail and transit equipment is for full cabs and no windows for riders to see out the front.
 #987715  by Fan Railer

RWERN wrote:I guess you'll have to do another one for when the extension opens. Eventually, these kinds of videos will be impossible to do since the going trend for rail and transit equipment is for full cabs and no windows for riders to see out the front.
Lol yea, I know right? Well, I still have at least until 2025-2030 or so before the R62's go away for good. But by then, the 7 will be all NTT, so this kind of video for that line will be impossible =/
 #989257  by Head-end View

The #7 train Queens-bound is one of only 2 lines still running corner-cabs. The only other line is the 8th Ave. "C" local running the remaining R-32's. And the only reason the Flushing trains are still configured that way is because they have an extra 11th car at the Queens end of the 2 five-car sets coupled together. Those cars are from the mid-1980's I think. So they are already 25 years old. I imagine they will be replaced by the year 2020, when they'll be 35 years old, unless a major rebuild to extend their service life is done very soon. Let's enjoy this last bastion of front-window riding while we still can.
 #991312  by Fan Railer

Head-end View wrote:The #7 train Queens-bound is one of only 2 lines still running corner-cabs. The only other line is the 8th Ave. "C" local running the remaining R-32's. And the only reason the Flushing trains are still configured that way is because they have an extra 11th car at the Queens end of the 2 five-car sets coupled together. Those cars are from the mid-1980's I think. So they are already 25 years old. I imagine they will be replaced by the year 2020, when they'll be 35 years old, unless a major rebuild to extend their service life is done very soon. Let's enjoy this last bastion of front-window riding while we still can.
Yep, definitely, and just a minor correction, but the majority of 7 trains run with 6 single cars followed by a 5 car set, with the single's bunch facing the Flushing bound direction.