Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#151116  by arrow

Why did they remove most of the glass panels from around the doors in the R44s? I think I've been in 1 train over the past few months that actually still had the glass in. It's nice with the glass since you can lean on it and don't have to worry about who is sitting in that seat.
Last edited by arrow on Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#151148  by F40

arrow wrote:7 Train, speaking of that:

Why did they remove most of the glass panels from around the doors in the R44s? I think I've been in 1 train over the past few months that actually still had the glass in. It's nice with the glass since you can lean on it and don't have to worry about who is sitting in that seat.
What is the main purpose for those glass panels and why did they remove them?

#151164  by 4 Express

arrow wrote:7 Train, speaking of that:

When did they start doing this? (I don't ride the A often).

#151258  by Robert Paniagua

Oh yeah, those are the "windscreens" you're talking about. When I rode the A on July 6th, they were already removed.

Now, back on topic, will there be anymore R160s coming soon other than the ones on property?

#152137  by arrow

Robert Paniagua wrote:Oh yeah, those are the "windscreens" you're talking about. When I rode the A on July 6th, they were already removed.
Ironically, the A train I was on on Tuesday had them still in. It's really much better with them in place, I can't understand why they took them out.

#152202  by 4 Express

Now the only difference I can think about between the R-44's & the R-46's are that R-46's are Pullman (I saw a plate on a car that said rebuilt buy Westinghouse) & the R-44's are St. Louis Car Company.

#152206  by F40

Some physical differences still exist. For example, the cab doors on the R44's is narrower than the ones on R46's. R46's have New York Air Brake (which is clearly distinguished from the brake releases of the two different models), door motors on R44's are set to open slowly and close fast. On R46's it's almost the other way around. Last but not least that I can think of is that on R44's you don't hear the characteristic "whoo" when the motor "revs up" to speed that you hear on the R46's. On R44's the sound is more gradual.

#152217  by 4 Express

F40 wrote:Some physical differences still exist. For example, the cab doors on the R44's is narrower than the ones on R46's. R46's have New York Air Brake (which is clearly distinguished from the brake releases of the two different models), door motors on R44's are set to open slowly and close fast. On R46's it's almost the other way around. Last but not least that I can think of is that on R44's you don't hear the characteristic "whoo" when the motor "revs up" to speed that you hear on the R46's. On R44's the sound is more gradual.
Ok thanks.

#152296  by arrow

Well the 46s have the metal walls and the 44s have the wallpaper, that's a big difference. The 46s also have the metal bar coming down next to the doors where the 44s have the pole going all the way into the ceiling (with our without the glass panels).

#152339  by 4 Express

arrow wrote:Well the 46s have the metal walls and the 44s have the wallpaper, that's a big difference. The 46s also have the metal bar coming down next to the doors where the 44s have the pole going all the way into the ceiling (with our without the glass panels).
I didn't know that.

#152345  by arrow

Whoops, my mistake. I don't know why I typed that. The R46s do not have the metal walls.

#152354  by 4 Express

arrow wrote:Whoops, my mistake. I don't know why I typed that. The R46s do not have the metal walls.
Oh, that's ok.

#152493  by 7 Train

I liked it riding on R44/46s with the "wood", and wallpaper trim with the glass partitions at the door ends. It gave it a more "upscale" look that resembled the MNR/LIRR M-1/2/3/4/6 cars.

#168181  by Ian Lennon

The ones with the metal walls are the R-68, R68A. The R-46's no longer have the glass partitions, while the R-44, and R-44SI have kept them. The other way to tell the R-44 apart from the 46 is the painted carbon steel waistband on the 44. The 46 is all stainless.

#168285  by 4 Express

Ian Lennon wrote:The ones with the metal walls are the R-68, R68A. The R-46's no longer have the glass partitions, while the R-44, and R-44SI have kept them. The other way to tell the R-44 apart from the 46 is the painted carbon steel waistband on the 44. The 46 is all stainless.
The waistband is still painted?