Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#611311  by Lucius Ameri

During this morning's rush hour at 168th St. on the IND 8th Ave. Line, a C train composed of R40Ms and R42s rolled in on the uptown local [terminal] track. Simultaneously, a C train of R40s rolled in on the downtown local track. It was awesome. :-D I'm not sure, but it did seem that the R40s had come in from the 175th St. Yard. Are they holdin' some of these babies up there before sending them to 207?
 #611491  by Kamen Rider

the 32s and 38 were shifted off the C as of yesterday. the C/Rs, for some reason, are being forced to operate from the 5th car from the T/O, using the 10 car stop marker (now replaced with an (S) and the 10 car conductor board. this means when changing ends the C/R must move to what was the 3/4th cars, now 5/6 on the return trip. this is diffrent from the orignaly planed procedure which was the same as what is used in the BMT Eastern (3/4 SB,5/6 NB, meaninfg they hadn't moved).
 #675977  by railfan365

Kamen Rider wrote:the 32s and 38 were shifted off the C as of yesterday. the C/Rs, for some reason, are being forced to operate from the 5th car from the T/O, using the 10 car stop marker (now replaced with an (S) and the 10 car conductor board. this means when changing ends the C/R must move to what was the 3/4th cars, now 5/6 on the return trip. this is diffrent from the orignaly planed procedure which was the same as what is used in the BMT Eastern (3/4 SB,5/6 NB, meaninfg they hadn't moved).
A belated response to your wondering why the conductor works in different places on an R-40 or R-42 train than on an R32/38 train.(I joined tihs board long after your post). The R 32/38/40/42 cars are all configured in married pairs. However, the R 32/38's each have a cab at one end that has conductor controls only, and a cab at the other that has conductor and motor controls, so that a conductor can necessarily spend all of their time at the married pair juncture that is exactly at themiddle of the train. The R 40/42's each has a conductor only cab at one end and a motor only cab at the other, so that when the number of cars in a train is evenly divisible by 4, then the conductor has to work a car length off center.
 #676604  by Kamen Rider

I wasn't wondering anything about the cars, my issue was the change in operating proecuder at the last minute to a system to the detramet of the crews. I used to work at the transit museum, car designs and functions are a cake walk. the wims of some people are a whole other story. the olgrinal plan, which was the same as the BMT eastern, was the CR would remain in once place. the third and four cars in one direction ehich became cars 5/6 the other way, not be required to change cars as the plan that ended up being used required.