Railroad Forums 

• R&N in the Jim Thorpe area

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#346269  by washingtonsecondary

This past December, my father, my son and I took the Santa trip out of Jim Thorpe, the last time I did it I was 8 years old (my son is nearly 2 and I'm 27 so its been a while) the trip is much different then the old trip. When the train swings over the river and onto what I presume is the old Lehigh Line, who's rails are those? I'm guessing R&N because NS would never allow a passenger excursion on their line. However on the second track before we left Jim Thorpe there was a CP stack track, and then on our trip we past an NS local headed towards Jim Thorpe.

My question is, who owns the tracks. Does NS own 1 and R&N own the other?
 #346282  by charlie6017

washingtonsecondary wrote:
My question is, who owns the tracks. Does NS own 1 and R&N own the other?
According to my SPV railroad atlas, I believe you're correct .............R&N owns one track for their operations.

#346314  by 56-57

R&N owns Track 1, NS owns Track 2. This starts in Lehighton and goes up to CP-Independence, where NS heads off to Hazleton and R&N shoots off to Pittston. CP and NS have trackage rights from CP-Dupont (below Scranton) to Lehighton, it's a north-south through route.

#348181  by Andyt293

How was the Santa trip? I took my 16 month old son on a trip in October and he had a blast. Other family commitments prevented me from getting down there in December. Maybe next year......