Railroad Forums 

• "Vissy Vests" system wide?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#821626  by CSX Conductor

I was upset to see that Amtrak installed them last month @ Southampton Street. They're not a good idea in my opinion, the clearance point ones especially. I say this because if newer people get spoiled by relying on the clearance markers and never develope good judgement, what will they do when winter comes and the markers aren't visble?!?

Back on topic of the vests, a white lantern is enough for someone to be seen. The "visi" vests are too "loud".
 #821741  by RussNelson

CSX Conductor wrote:I say this because if newer people get spoiled by relying on the clearance markers and never develop good judgement ...
All safety devices have this problem. People tolerate a certain amount of risk in their lives. Everyone has a different level. If you try to make people safer by taking some risk away from them, they'll just seek out a higher level of risk to get back to their desired level of risk. Two data points: people drive faster when it's slippery if they have anti-lock breaks. And, people drive more safely if you restructure the roads so they appear more dangerous. The most obvious change is the complete removal of traffic control signs.
 #821778  by sd80mac

CSX Conductor wrote:and never develope good judgement.
doesnt matter anyway bec they will not.... "common sense" died couple years ago.... we're the last people (at least 30 yrs old and older) with common sense.. It would be miracle to meet younger one with common sense.
 #877706  by cifn2

When I was working for UP back int 2007 before the great layoff, we had an engineer who was off waiting on a southbounder, he thought it would be a good time to walk the locos and check fuel. It was the middle of the night, the passing southbound train, arrived faster than anticipated and he was fouling the track was caught by the plow and flung. He ended up with a punctured lung, and further damage but did survive.

Illinois enacted law about a year ago requiring anyone working on highways/roadways to have high viz. This means Police, fire, ambulance, construction, etc. The police can issue a citation for those not wearing them, I did hear a rumor that some ambulance crew had received citations for failing to wear the vests.
 #877713  by roadster

Many States have the same Law. Including here in NY. The stated reason for the vest by CSX has been numerous preventable vehicle pedestrian incidents involving RR employees walking along the ROW and being struck by other RR highway vehicles. A HV Vest isn't going to prevent a subject fouling the tracks from being struck by a train. The Train can not stop in time.
 #879288  by Puter-Geek

I have seen the vests on the UP and NS now, also. I like it, but not the mandatory "CSX Approved only" items. I feel any ANSI Class 2 or 3 article of clothing worn correctly should be OK. I started wearing hi viz apparel before this rule came out. Too many close calls protecting industrial crossings.