Railroad Forums 

• "VD" (Vanderbilt) Yard - Before Barclays Center

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1481164  by newkirk

All photos September 1980 - Click photo to enlarge
 #1481439  by nyandw

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/flatbush/flatbush.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The elevated tracks, (photo below) according to Emery's map, were for milk cars. He said on the map that the tracks went across Atlantic Ave. before 1940 and connected with the merchandise terminal, to which his map #789 refers.

The track curved upward eastbound for the potato warehouse. (photo bottom) The other track in front of it curved upward westbound for the elevated milk platform indicated on Emery's map. Info: Dave Keller
 #1481626  by newkirk

Did anyone catch that bit of orange in the third photo, past the overpass, below the billboard ?(click on photo)
Could that be this forlorn MP-54 baggage car in the back of the yard ? (click on photo) [Aug. 17, 1972]
From what I was told it remained there after the tracks were pulled up and the lights and heat were still working !
 #1481764  by nyandw

newkirk wrote:Did anyone catch that bit of orange in the third photo, past the overpass, below the billboard ?(click on photo)
Could that be this forlorn MP-54 baggage car in the back of the yard ? (click on photo) [Aug. 17, 1972]
From what I was told it remained there after the tracks were pulled up and the lights and heat were still working !
Interesting, Bill! Wish we had more data on that coach/photos?
 #1481826  by newkirk

nyandw wrote: Interesting, Bill! Wish we had more data on that coach/photos?
That's all I have about that baggage car. I understand it was in VD yard for many years. As you can see with an MP-72 on the same track, it was probably there since the late 60's, my guess. After the LIRR pulled up the tracks, the car stayed there, kinda orphaned.

But back in the 80's a friend told me that the lights and heat still functioned until the car was either cut up or removed.