Railroad Forums 

• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1591007  by markhb

petahgriff8316 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:44 pm Slightly off-topic but kinda funny: I've been a railfan for about 25 years and, as someone who grew up in the digital age, loved train sims but used to be "meh" about the railroads – there was never a PAR route that I was aware of other than Portland Terminal so being in Maine it wasn't very relatable. Anyway, I bought TS 2022 a week or so ago determined to figure out how to make a legit route. Turns out there is a Google maps overlay that's pretty easy to use and builds the models to scale, so I built the routes from Rigby to Waterville, the Lower Road to Brunswick, and SLR from Yarmouth to Auburn. Super bare-bones at the moment – I'm also working on the same routes with legit elevation (which will be like a year-long project) – and at present it's basically just a handful of crossings and Leeds/Danville/Readfield siding/Royal but I believe I built the first ever sim route between Portland and Waterville. Ran a Downeaster from WA to PO in 1h5m*...79 all the way! :P

* Even with perfect tracks, and recognizing that speeds fluctuate between 10 and 25 between Royal and Waterville, totally recognize this is a farce...there are some sharp switchbacks that prevent many straightaway tangent sections. That said, Walnut siding in North Yarmouth is on about a 3 1/2 mile straightaway track (MP 181 to 184.5). Also it's a game, so physics don't exist (as much).

As I write this, flying through Danville. ~25 minutes to Portland.
Not to drag this thread too far off-topic, but do you plan to stream it on Twitch at all?
 #1591022  by petahgriff8316

markhb wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:29 am Not to drag this thread too far off-topic, but do you plan to stream it on Twitch at all?
I'm not opposed to it! A friend suggested that I stream my Microsoft FS2020 flights (I do a lot of TATL flights out of PWM, BXM, and BGR) so maybe I need to look closer at Twitch.

With the route that I've built out completely (CPF 113 to CPF 200), the only hesitation at this point is that it's insanely bare bones and very little elevation detail — there are trees/the big sidings/around 10 crossings, but that's about it right now. That said, I have a separate route with the accurate elevation for the whole route, but constructing the track with elevation/bridges/etc. is a bit more than I have wrapped my hands around at the moment, but once I learn those things it'll just be a case of doing it for the whole route. Still, it's kind of fun to know that the scale is "correct" and to see how long it takes to get from X to Y in a perfect track world given the route.

Happy to let you know when it's further along — PM me if you're interested and I can give you a more detailed breakdown of what is in place — and would definitely do a Twitch stream for all those interested (assuming others are :P). I might also make the (more accurate) version available for others to use once it is in such a place.
 #1591046  by petahgriff8316

Back on topic...am I correct in that (excluding Rigby to Royal) the only CWR installed in D1 is to Danville? I recall Nate Moulton from Maine DOT saying that the balance of the CRISI work would be done after the proceedings are resolved, but am a bit sketchy on where there is CWR vs. stick.
 #1591086  by CPF66

There is welded rail in spots to the east. The DOT paid for sections between Bangor and Lincoln when Guilford tried to snag some of the container business in the 90's and early 2000's.
 #1591325  by petahgriff8316

I've long been a railfan but have only recently started to educate myself on the particulars of PAR operations, and even that is from my lens as a non-RR employee. That said, I am aware that a number of POWA/WAPO freights either have to recrew or do yard work at Danville. How often to POWA/WAPO trains run "straight through" — as in, starts moving at PO and stops at WA, or vice-versa? It seems like best case scenario is that the whole line is 25, which would take roughly 3 1/2 hours, but knowing Pan Am and the number of 10 mph zones, I figure it takes at least 4-5 hours end-to-end. Between slow orders, meets, and crews timing out, I figure there are few "straight through" runs.

As an aside, in my "terrain-accurate" route-building exercise, I've come to appreciate the terrain between Portland and Waterville. I knew there was a climb from the Maranacook bridge up to Readfield Depot and then another from Bean up to ~134 (and generally that there were several grades since the Back Road starts at the coast in Yarmouth, goes inland, and then back to the Kennebec) but this photo at 139 (Thomas Coloumbe) really underlined it for me. Would be curious to know what the highest point of elevation on the Back Road is — the lowest I can recall is ~15 feet above sea level crossing into Portland and the highest either in Greene or Readfield at ~300 feet.
 #1592124  by S1f3432

Been a while since I've seen RUPO- happened upon them leaving Rileys this afternoon about 1430.
Attached photo shows them approaching the route 106 crossing just west of Stricklands at 1610 with
MEC 345_503_501 and 37 cars.
Attachments:
20220218_RUPO_Eng345_503_501_37cars_1610_JustWestOfStricklandsME_.jpg
20220218_RUPO_Eng345_503_501_37cars_1610_JustWestOfStricklandsME_.jpg (295.15 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
 #1595024  by johnpbarlow

Here's what a knowledgeable poster on the Pan Am Railfans FaceBook page (ie a RR employee) said regarding the potato reefer routing:
From Maine Northern to Pan Am, to CSX across to Chicago [POAY/Q427 to Selkirk], then CP from Chicago to the western US and over to UP/former SP territory in Washington State.
 #1595047  by PBMcGinnis

The potato traffic out of Van Buren, ME is now done and over for the season. Last few cars loaded in mid March.
No more empties coming to Pan Am, and all the loads are now on CSX or further west on UP.
 #1595065  by S1f3432

Danville Junction switcher just returning from the IP container plant late this afternoon-
been using GP40's on this job most of the time.
Attachments:
202200404_DSC1509_MEC7585_DanvilleJctME.jpg
202200404_DSC1509_MEC7585_DanvilleJctME.jpg (442.8 KiB) Viewed 1048 times