Railroad Forums 

• "Under consideration" on csx site

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1283274  by Poulin24

I recently applied for a csx carman position and then had an interview. The next day i got an email saying "thank you for your time there are no immediate openings but we may contact you for future oppurtunities". So a week or so went by and i decided to email them thanking them for there time and asking what could make me more qualified. They said "You didn’t receive a rejection letter, you are actually in a pipeline for a future hire.Please be patience until that position becomes available." So i was just wondering if anyone else has been put in one of these "pipelines" and if i have a good chance of getting hired?
 #1283307  by Gadfly

This is nothing more than a standard response used by many, many companies. Your chances of getting hired.........................................are the same as everybody else who receives that letter. It depends on applicant's qualifications at the time of the interview invite. You *may* get invited to interview, you might not. At the time of the personal interview you will be evaluated amongst the multitude that applied---and there will be a multitude! They will review your app, then select those whom they believe they want. The rest go home. Simple!

However, as a retired railroader, remember that I, too, wrote the company in 1978, and received pretty much the same brush off. You know, "Thank you for your interest in Southern Railway System..............there are no openings at this time, blah, blah..............." And I figured that was that. About 2 months later, I received a letter from Southern saying there would be an interview at such 'n such place at 8:00 AM. If I was still interesting in working for SR, please arrive NLT
8 AM for personal interview. I was HIRED that same day pending physical! :-D I went home and said not one word to my current boss. After the physical and a personal interview with my upcoming boss and supervisor, I went home and turned in my resignation. No two week notice: the railroad was not allowing that--I was to be there the following Monday morning, OR they'd get somebody else! :( OH NO! THIS job ain't gettin' away from me THAT easy! I was there on Monday at 7 AM sharp ready to work! And it turned into a TOUGH, but interesting AND rewarding career I wouldn't trade for the world! OH it was bad at times---the trudging thru some yard in a soaking rain, or while snow was stinging yer face. Or slinging an 8 lb sledge on a pile of spring frogs in 95 degree heat! And sometimes I cussed the railroad quite roundly for the "deeds" it did, but once it was done, I look back with some longing, but RELIEF that its over. When they get their "hooks" in ya, yer a railroader for life, and it will color everything you do! :wink:

I wish you luck in your quest for employment in the industry.

GF