Railroad Forums 

• "Trains & Travel" magazine (circa 1952)

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1343467  by judgesmails

Quick question regarding "Trains & Travel" magazine - I just noticed several copies for sale on eBay, most (if not all) published in 1952. The "Trains & Travel" logo appears to be a variation on the standard "Trains Magazine" logo. Was this a short-lived offshoot of the main "Trains Magazine"? If anyone has a copy or copies, would you recommend purchasing these magazines as a supplement to the more traditional "Trains"? Thanks for any feedback!
 #1352596  by Noel Weaver

I have every issue of Trains from November, 1947 until the present issue. They used the name "Trains and Travel for a period but I will have to dig to find the exact dates. They did a write up both when they started the "and Travel" and when they went back to just Trains. Incidentally I have been re-reading Trains in the process of putting my collection in it proper place in my new quarters and in my opinion Trains is now probably the best it has ever been. They deal more with the issues that railfans like to read about and less about politics, labor issues and other stuff. Morgan stuck his nose in to too much that he would been better to stay clear of and that other one Kneiling was beyond hope, why they wasted ink, paper and space on his nonsense made no sense to me back then and makes even less sense today. Most of what he suggested never ever happened. Today the magazine is far more interesting to read, the content more balanced and they are no longer deeply involved in labor issues and other stuff that might be news but did not apply to most of its readers. Having said that, I still enjoy reading back issues in my collection and that is part of the reason that I am still working to get the rest of my stuff put away although the end of this project is now in sight. I don't remember the cover price in the early days but it might have been 35 cents.
Noel Weaver