Railroad Forums 

• "Timetable Mable" — 1940s B&M Song

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1064685  by bmcdr

They're almost impossible to find nowadays, most got broken, as records from that time period were made out of a very brittle plastic that broke just by dropping them. I bought one on E-Bay a couple of years ago and donated in to the Walker Collection of the Beverly Historical Society.
 #1064695  by MEC407

drvmusic wrote:Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTjHVJIxENc
That's fantastic!
 #1064717  by edbear

I have the sheet music for Timetable Mabel, the girl who's in love with a train. Back about 1947, the wife of the doorkeeper of the New Hampshire State House made herself a dress with the current B & M public timetables as the designs. She got publicity including a write up in an issue of B & M Employee Magazine and local radio, I think WNAC. The recording artists were Dolly Dawn and the Jesters and the record got local airplay. Dolly Dawn appears in several photos with the sheet music. Ms. Dawn passed away about 10-12 years ago, locally.
 #1064789  by drvmusic

Thought you guys might like that :-)

Thanks for all of the info on this! I have an old hand-crank victrola and hold out hope that someday I'll come across a copy.

On the sheet music, is it simple chord-structure? I'd love to cover it on guitar.
 #1064999  by edbear

I am not musically oriented, so I can't help you.
 #1273058  by MEC407

I've tried to find a copy of that record myself, but no luck. I'm glad we can listen to it on YouTube at least.