Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1590264  by eolesen

Tens of thousands of people work at JFK... restoring LIRR access isn't just about passengers flying in and out.

Hells Gate can't accommodate freight and passenger traffic without the extra clearance afforded by removing that fourth track. Safety first, expansion last.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1590350  by freightguy

If this doesn't end up in the "great idea box in the sky," one really has to wonder what type of entity would run it? My money for any advancement would be on a light rail system like NJT maybe not even manned by MTA personnel? Think the NICE Nassau County bus system that was spun off by the MTA years back. I could see New York and Atlantic Railway relegated to like 10pm to 5am on that 11 mile section of the Bay Ridge maybe? See where we are maybe 2 years down the road in this thread when the stimulus money runs out!
 #1607397  by BM6569

"To build a new transit connection between Brooklyn and Queens, a streetcar may be what the MTA desires.

Transit officials have identified light rail train cars as the easiest way to realize Gov. Hochul’s proposed Interborough Express, which aims to bring passenger service to a 14-mile set of freight tracks from Bay Ridge to Jackson Heights.

Officials since January have also examined using the line for conventional commuter trains like those on the LIRR or Metro-North. The construction of a dedicated roadway for buses is also on the table."

https://www.masstransitmag.com/rail/new ... onths-away

Too bad they can't rebuild the 4th track on the hell gate bridge and run this out to the Bronx. But they are "constraints" for the heavy rail options.
 #1607747  by scratchyX1

nyrmetros wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:12 am So they are leaning towards light rail for this project? That's exciting but scary as NYC has no modern experience of dealing with a light rail system. Would love to see a Stadler trainset here though.
This would work best as an operation like on staten island, they seem to want light rail to use street running in places.