• "THE ERIE LIMITED" AMTRAK Excursion Hoboken-Bingo

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by DonPevsner

There will be a special AMTRAK excursion train over VERY rare mileage
from Hoboken,NJ to Binghamton, NY and return, over the former Erie RR
mainline and Graham freight line, on SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2004. Train will depart Hoboken at 7:30AM and return there at 9:00PM due to 25mph speed restriction on Delaware Division. Trainside catering for lunch and (carry back on board) dinner will be provided at passengers' own option at the old DL&W passenger station parking-lot in Binghamton. CONSIST: Up to 13 AMFLEET I 70-seat coaches; 1 AMFLEET snack car; plus PV "NEW YORK CENTRAL 3"--all being deadheaded from PHL 30th
Street to Hoboken and back for the special excursion train behind two AMTRAK Genesis diesels. Tickets cost $185RT in Coach and $495RT (just 13 seats available) on the "NYC 3", including 3 meals for PV-passengers only. INFORMATION AND TICKETS: (a)ONLINE: www.ticketweb.com ; TELEPHONE: (866)468-7619. As this is probably the first passenger train on the Erie side west of Port Jervis
all the way to Binghamton since November 27, 1966, seats should go pretty fast.
  by jeteye1717

For railfans living in the Binghamton area (like me), note that this special excursion can also be boarded in Binghamton ($99) for the return trip to either Port Jervis (with bus service back to Binghamton), or continuing on to Hoboken. My Dad and I (sounds like a great Father's Day gift to me) are likely to use this option, as it beats driving to Hoboken the day before, bunking in a motel for the night, then taking the train to/from Binghamton, followed by a late night drive back to the Southern Tier - ugh ... This option of Bingo --> Port Jervis means we can meet the westbound leg in Lanesboro for a Starrucca photo op, drive back to Binghamton in plenty of time to board the eastbound return leg to Port Jervis, then bus back to Binghamton at a reasonable hour. Taking photos from below Starrucca, then riding over it a few hours later on the same train sounds like an afternoon/evening well spent to me !!

Details/tickets for the eastern leg option are available here:

http://www.ticketweb.com/user/?region=n ... lackawanna

Hope to see/meet some of you on the train - Jim

by BlockLine_4111

This sounds like a great trip.

by njt4172

Block,

Yeah, and your not gonna be here for it huh??

Steve

by BlockLine_4111

Why these 25PMH slow spots ? Did NS let the Tier east of Bingo go to hell in a handbasket ? I thought the line was good for 35-40 MPH entire stretch from PJ to Bingo.

by cjvrr

The freight speed is 40 mph. There are slow orders but not that many. I think either the promoter is being cautious, or NS has slapped the 25 MPH restriction on the trip to discourage it.

Chris

by BlockLine_4111

Will anyone or anything "police" the speed of the train ?

by cjvrr

Hot box detectors and dragging equipment detectors record the speed of the train and transmit it to the crew, would think the dispatcher would hear it too.

A few years ago the last time I was lucky enough to chase a train up the line, every signal was called out to the dispatcher. That could be a dead giveaway of train speed.

Chris

by Tri-State Tom

Ross Rowland had the #614 + 24 coaches up and well over the speed limit for awhile between PJ and Harriman on one of those excursions a few years ago....over 80mph at one point.

The NS guy musta been takin' a leak at the time....

by cjvrr

Yeah, I tried (emphasis on tried) to chase some of those trips. No way 80mph running was the norm. The Erie E-8 trips to PJ, Lackawaxen, and Honesdale were the same thing.

The 614 ran before NS took ownership of CR, and the line between PJ and Suffern is in better shape than the line west of PJ. The 25 MPH restriction that has been discussed is on the line west of PJ.

I still think NS is slapping the restriction on the trip to discourage it. I just hope the trip happens. $185 is too much for my wallet, but I will hopefully be chasing that day. The way gas prices are going it may cost just as much to chase the thing by car ;-)

Chris

by njt4172

TOM,

The 614 trips ran from 1996-1998 and Conrail was still going strong. NS didn't assume operations until June 1, 1999.

cjvrr,

NS allows diesel fantrips, but only if they are done at the most safest speeds. Some of the rail and ties west of Port Jervis is over 60 years old... I'm sure NS isn't trying to stop the trip from happening because they make a profit from them and all they care about is making money. The reason why the 25 mph is enforced is because if there happens to be a minor derailment then insurance becomes a factor. NS doesn't want to get sued up the ass if passengers get hurt.........

Steve

by cjvrr

Maybe you guys know,

I was told that Amtrak can run on any track owned by any railroad (excluding excepted track) and that the RR owner can not deny it. Also since it is an Amtrak trip (thoretically anyway), their (Amtrak's) insurance coverage is invoked.

Is that true?

Chris

by BlockLine_4111

I recall during a discussion with Andy B. (@ the model RR club in Carlstadt) that the 614 briefly hit 75-80 MPH on a section of the line in the vicinity of Harriman (along the NY thruway).

When I was out chasing the trips the 614 belched ash and fouled my cup of fresh coffee one morning at the Rutherford station. On the return leg of one excursion a local cop clocked on radar #614 doing 62 MPH near Dundee Jct.

by nysw3636

cjvrr wrote:Hot box detectors and dragging equipment detectors record the speed of the train and transmit it to the crew, would think the dispatcher would hear it too.

A few years ago the last time I was lucky enough to chase a train up the line, every signal was called out to the dispatcher. That could be a dead giveaway of train speed.

Chris
All the detectors between Port Jervis and Binghamton do not transmit speed, nor axle count anymore. All they say is " NS detector, MP ???, No Dragging Equipment ".... Been that way for quite some time.

ASD
  by jmp883

There is one thing you must remember in regard to train speeds, regardless of who owns the trackage or when the trip was run. The Southern Tier east of Port Jervis sees daily commuter trains that are authorized 79mph. All curves, the Moodna Viaduct, the Woodbury Viaduct, and the Otisville Tunnel are all welded rail. The stick sections of the line are fairly smooth. I've ridden the line several times in locomotive cabs, and once in a hi-rail, as a (now former) train dispatcher in the process of qualifying and the rail structure can definitely support high speeds. The farthest west I've ever gotten has only been to a grade crossing at the west end of the Port Jervis yard and that was only to get the hi-rail on the tracks, we came east from that point. From what I've been told the old Delaware Division between Port and Binghamton is all stick rail the whole way. Since very few trains run between Port and Binghamton, maintenance is not up to the same standards that it is east of Port. Of course, as was posted earlier, NS may very well have put that speed restriction on to discourage this (and any future) fantrips, but it also might be based somewhat on safety concerns. A freight train generally only has a conductor and an engineer on board vs. the several hundred that would be on a fantrip. If a freight has an accident at 40mph there is a chance the crew will make out ok. You can't say the same for a fantrip. If I owned the Delaware Division in the current state it's in I think I'd probably lower the speed limit also. Look at it this way, it makes for a longer trip!

Back when the 614 ran, things were a little more railfan/excursion friendly and speed indiscretions probably wouldn't even be noticed.

Joe P :D
Long Live The EL!
www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29