Railroad Forums 

• "The Driver" by Garet Garrett (novel)

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1000640  by econandon

I just wrote a short synopsis of an old novel called The Driver by Garet Garrett. I figured I would copy my summary from the New Jersey Railfan forum:

The plot centers on a few men who run a late 19th century railroad, with detailed passages about its operation and financing. Although it is a work of fiction, it was written by a financial journalist named Garet Garrett - lending credibility to its depictions of business practices.

The protagonist appears to be based on E.H. Harriman. The events described occur in the aftermath of the Panic of 1893 (which in real life was partially caused by the failure of the RDG). In addition to describing late 19th century business practices, the book serves as a nice primer on history of that time. The author also fictionalizes minor episodes of American history (such as the breakup of the Iowa Pool), which the historically-astute may enjoy.

I will say two things against the novel. The first three paragraphs of Chapter IV make very little sense (and almost ruin the book IMO). Second is that some readers may be offended by the author's attempt to write in dialect (such as a banker character whose style ov speeking ees wreeten like dees).

The Driver by Garet Garrett was originally published by E.P. Dutton (New York) in 1922. It is now available at the following links: