Railroad Forums 

• "Sunrise at Campobello" and the Maine Central...

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1148328  by douellet

There are 2 photos on page 126 of George Melvin's book "Maine Central in Color" that documents the railroad scene from the movie. The first photo shows 44 tonner #11 coupled to the 519 with business car 333. The other shows the production crew preparing 333 for the movie shoot. The location was listed as Key Street in Eastport.

In Michael Zimmermann's book on the Washington County Railroad he states that the year 1904 was the first time that FDR and Eleanor travelled by train to Eastport to reach Campobello Island. I think FDR made only one trip to Campobello after becoming president and he came by way of a US Navy ship. The story is that the FDR helped pilot the ship near Lubec and Campobello. He was an avid sailor and knew the waters of the area well.
 #1148428  by Highball

" Sunrise at Campobello " will be shown on TCM ( Turner Classic Movies ) March 25th @ 1:30 am EST and April 24th @ 10 am EST.

Speaking of boats, Eastport Me. etc, on Monday Feb. 18th " Mutiny on The Bounty " is scheduled on TCM @ 11:45 am EST. It's the 1962 version of the original Bounty movie from 1935, that starred Clark Gable. The 1962 version starred Marlon Brando and The Bounty made for that production, was built in Nova Scotia. The HMS Bounty was on display at the 2012 Eastport Pirate Festival in September and I'm sure many are aware, that The Bounty was sunk during Hurricane Sandy, off the coast of North Carolina in October.

Ironically enough Marlon Brando at one point, was considered for the FDR part over Ralph Bellamy, in " Sunrise at Campobello ".
 #1189510  by KIS1000

The 519 did go to Eastport for the shooting of Sunrise in Campobello. When I was about 12 my Dad took me to see the 519 rolling through Cherryfield headed toward Ayer Jct. This was a fairly big deal at the time. My Father was Agent at Calais so I was hearing a day by day update of what was happening on the Eastport Branch. As you may imagine my Mother and Grandmother was very interested in the making of a movie (or a small part anyway) in Washington County. I remember stories retold by my Uncle's and Father of FDR actually actually riding the train Down East. Many of these came from my Grandfather who worked for MEC between 1915 and 1943. He held Columbia Falls for many years beginning just before the depression until 1943 so the fact that FDR did ride the train on occasion is most likely true.