Railroad Forums 

• "Rail Potential" on Long Island

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1203722  by NYCS

Many of you are already familiar with my New York City Industries Map. I have decided to add a new feature to this map and need all of the help I can get: I will soon be outlining the parcels of land on Long Island that are well-equipped to receive commodities by rail, but do not. Essentially, this would comprise both existing buildings and empty lots along much of the LIRR ROW that have "rail potential". A feature of the map would even be drawing hypothetical rail lines into these buildings or onto these parcels of land, which isn't too difficult considering many were once rail-served and the former spurs can clearly be found by the tree cuts, curved building walls, and other features.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd like to start adding this feature to the map. I suppose there are hundreds (maybe thousands) of parcels/buildings that have rail potential. The purpose of this feature will be to demarcate properties available for potential development. Although I don't seeing it be used for the purpose, it could even be a helpful tool for companies scouting out locations and wishing to be rail-served. A pipe dream, I admit, but it would be a fun feature to illustrate on a map. Does anyone have a list of locations that are prime for rail service?

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=21 ... 1,1.056747
 #1203792  by freightguy

Can I throw one in that's always in the news lately, the Cerro Wire and adjacent Nassau DPW property. In Suffolk Brookhaven Rail will expand on the few hundred acres not developed. Calverton could have potential for huge expansion if marketed correctly. I see recently on the Official NYAR site they have begun to market potential properties.
 #1203853  by Sir Ray

Don't everyone rush in at once to post Price Parkway in Farmingdale:P

OK, two former clients, not sure if I saw them on the existing Ultimate Freight Customer list...

1) Allied Building Products, Whitehall St on the Valley Stream/Lynbrook
When it was Basily [sp?] Lumber, they used to receive centerbeams, bulkhead flats, and boxcars on a regular basis. IIRC Allied ever received rail deliveries.
The main lot remains unencumbered according to Google View.

2) Quality Lineals, Bennington Ave. Freeport.
Was the home of the famous landlocked storage covered hopper till a year or so ago.
Actually, a surprising amount of unobstructed freight siding trackage remains along the north of that block.
 #1203939  by nyandw

I hope this is close enough to be on-topic: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/freightsidings.htm
This is the 1966 LIRR freight sidings map set with a "few" additions I have been making all along. It illustrates what was there (location, siding, industry, siding spots) and those locations that in some cases still lend themselves, perhaps, to this conversation.
 #1205550  by ccutler

Now all Long Island needs is lower electricity prices, lower taxes, less NY State policy hostility to business and then you'll see freight develop in long island.