Railroad Forums 

• "Official" STEAMTOWN Thread

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#900782  by daylight4449

chuchubob wrote:
Mr rt wrote:Why are they getting a PA2 & C420 ... plus a F3B to go with their pair of F3As ?
(do they all have steam generators ?)
Steamtown is not getting an FA2 or a C420. They are going to the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society and are going to the DL shop in Scranton.
The F3B is going to Steamtown to go with their pair of F3As. That's OK with me.
the "F3B" is a F7B from the boston and maine that ARHS plans to backdate in apperance to an F3B. shouldn't be that hard. saw a picture of BM 4266 in the late BM days without most of it's grilles on, and it looked just like a chicken wire. the reading FP7s are there so they can recieve matinence and use scranton as a base of opperations.
 #904943  by daylight4449

To burst the bubble of many who say steamtown will never operate an american steamer, they did, and will again soon. Why doesn't anyone remember baldwin #26? Oh, and google the 3713 and you'll find our F3 toting friends have been gettin a fair amount done. Can't wait to tell them that my health teacher's grandfather regularly operated the 3713 and her stablemate P4s.
 #905101  by daylight4449

daylight4449 wrote:To burst the bubble of many who say steamtown will never operate an american steamer, they did, and will again soon. Why doesn't anyone remember baldwin #26? Oh, and google the 3713 and you'll find our F3 toting friends have been gettin a fair amount done. Can't wait to tell them that my health teacher's grandfather regularly operated the 3713 and her stablemate P4s.
Wait, sorry, it's the Lackawanna and Wyoming Valley Railroad Historical Society.
 #911370  by rwk

There is no DWG excursion this year because a bridge under I-80 needs repair between East Stroudsburg and DWG. All rail traffic is suspended over the bridge until repairs are made. It could take up to six months. The first Steamtown excursion for the year is in July I believe, and there will be no steam past Tobyhanna.
 #1013681  by Norge

Sorry to bump a dusty thread, but just wanted to say that I LOVE Steamtown. When I was very young my grandparents lived in the Poconos and my grandfather would take me to Steamtown quite often.. He actually managed to take me on a tour before it opened. Definitely taking my kids there, whenever that may be.
 #1036474  by toolmaker

Camsand48 wrote:Anybody hea r anything about East Broad Top closing?
There are several EBT topics in this forum. If there was something to say I would watch those for new discussions.

-gary
 #1061952  by Mr rt

Well, what does Steamtown gwt from the City ?
Aren't they a federal organization ?
And they a tourist organization ?

The City needs money, so any touist organization is going to left alone, if the mayor has any brains.

Now the tourist group in the city will be working for mim wage ... hopefully they can keep going while this all sorts out.

Where is the State of PA ... they could help or take over the city government.
 #1080522  by Deel

I attend Railfest every year. I remember that the finishing touches were being put on Baldwin #26 in 2011. Well, it's been a year and the #26 looks exactly the same. Of course the 2354 was up and running, and this year it pulled the excursion to Moscow. I believe it was 1999 or 2000 when all three engines were steaming during railfest, and they even double headed the 2317 and 2354 for a few runby's. Now, Steamtown seams to be only a shadow of once was. It appears that all efforts are going into the 3713 and progress is very slow.
I realize that aspestos removal was being done on the three static locos, but that "crown sheet" was supposed to be done 7 years ago on the 26. What's going on over there? 100 different projects and zero progress. Nothing changes and I can't figure out why. This year railfest was dis organized, and very disappointing. I can only wonder if they are restoring the 26 back to service. Rangers keep their mouth shut, so I couldn't find out a thing. Anybody have insight?
 #1092787  by Schuylkill Valley

One word can describe what is going on here. "Union" The Employees milk the system . They only do the minion each day to show their even doing some thing.
I witness it first hand. I volunteer there for three years on Project DL&W 565 as co - Lead.

Len.