Railroad Forums 

• "IRC" building on Broadway in Buffalo

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#34259  by Otto Vondrak

Went to Buffalo for a day of railfanning last week. Driving past Frontier yard on Broadway, I was heading for Bailey. I saw the same building I notice every time I'm in the city- a large painted banner reads "IRC LEADS THE WAY IN TRANSIT PROGRESS."

Did this building belong to International Railway Corp? Was it a bus garage or a streetcar barn? Or both?

-otto-

#34366  by Railroaded

It was the streetcar barn and then was converted into a bus garage.
The old rails are still burried under the streets all over the city. You can see them popping out now on Filmore near Clinton St.

While you were looking towards the IRC Barn, you may have missed the old Roundhouse building right across the street behind Tops Market. Let me know if you would like a photo or two.

-B in B

#34388  by SST

That's what I love about Buffalo so much. If you know what to look for, you can still find things going back 100 years.

#34397  by SimTrains

Hey Railroaded, I've always wanted to check out the roundhouse, it's some type of trucking company or something now isn't it? Do you have pictures of it back when it was in use, or now? Anyone know how long has its been since tracks let to it? I'm assuming it was a part of the NYC frontier yard. I'd love to see these pics!!! Thanks!

#34683  by Railroaded

I have photos of it from about 6 months ago. Let me know if you want to see them.

It used to be a Pulman Co. repair facility.

-B in B

-PS: Sim Trains, what is that awesome BCT artwork from next to your user name???

#34802  by SimTrains

Railroaded, please share with us! I assume they are in digital format, correct?

As for the new Avatar icon - This was the poster which was being sold at the Buffalo Central Terminal 75th anniversary party. I picked up one for myself, and it looks superb framed on my wall! They only made something like 150 of them, and some have even started poping up on eBay! Check it out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2257103119

#34828  by NYSW3614

To bad the proceeds from poster sales can't go to the BCT.

#34835  by Otto Vondrak

Can this poster be purchased from the Central Terminal Restoration Corp? I saw the artwork on their site, but no info about how to obtain one?

Thanks for the info on the IRC building.

-otto-

#34936  by Railroaded

I can send scans via e-mail attachment, I don't have any web space to display them.

-B in B

#35019  by SimTrains

Otto- They do have plans in the works for an online store, but I don't know what will be available at it.