Railroad Forums 

• "If Conductors are in charge,

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#389578  by powerpro69

why do they get promoted to Engineers"

But why do a lot of them get forced and then wish they were back on the ground?

#389813  by GOLDEN-ARM

Why do they also get a pay-raise, and certification pay too? Seems to be unfair to "demote" someone to the seat, then pay him more money...... :wink: I can understand them not wanting to lose great seniority, on a gravy job, only to be forced to some God-forsaken location, or the extra board. Maybe one day soon, we can vote away this forcing of men, to positions they don't want in the first place. "We're" ready, but the "other guys" are still holding out. They signed the agreement, that steals seniority away, from those who don't want to lose it, in the first place. Go figure. :(

#389841  by theinsider

I think the world promotion in this case is used incorrectly. The definition is "advancement in rank or position." As has been mentioned in other threads "why do they call it a promotion if the conductor is in charge?" I think it is easier for everyone to call it a promoting when it is actually a change in what craft you are working. Kind of like how it is accepted that most people call tissues Kleenex, where Kleenex is a brand name. It has become the norm in both instances. Easier to say I am getting promoted to Engineer, then say I am changing crafts and becomming and engineer.
 #389942  by SooLineRob

powerpro69 wrote:But why do a lot of them get forced and then wish they were back on the ground?
They were holding GREAT Conductor jobs with only 2 years seniority; now they'll be on the Engineer's Extra Board for at least 5-10 years.

They don't enjoy/like running engines for 215 miles, when they could be doing "other" things.

They enjoyed working outdoors instead of being "stuck" in the cab all day/night.

They find troubleshooting engine mechanical/electrical/performance problems difficult.

They haven't/can't develope a "feel" for running trains and it's uncomfortable.

And last, some people enjoy the "power trip" of being "in charge" of someone/something ... LOL!

#391083  by gprimr1

I always though it was just a funny quote Dutchrailnut put in his profile.

#391569  by GN 599

That 15k to 18k productivity check the pre 85 trainmen get would have been enough for me to stay a trainmen. And they all voted no when we went to short crew, yeah right.