Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #290738  by salminkarkku

This little PRR sub with the big name was built in 1895 from a west-facing junction just west of the main-line passenger station at Elkton MD, for half a mile to Main & Bridge St. It went no further, although it was intended as another route into Delaware.

Obviously the PRR had better things to spend their money on than short-hauling itself for the benefit of shippers on the Delmarva Peninsula, but it kept the charter alive until 1916.

Does anyone know what was at the terminal?

#292310  by choess

In 1923, a feed mill and a fertilizer plant. There was a fairly detailed article in the "High Line" a few years ago, I think by Richard Hall, on this branch. It was essentially an industrial siding in Elkton.

I remember seeing the BoD authorization for the line in the Hagley--dated 1894, I think, to run to Middletown via Chesapeake City.
 #321385  by motor

salminkarkku wrote:This little PRR sub with the big name was built in 1895 from a west-facing junction just west of the main-line passenger station at Elkton MD, for half a mile to Main & Bridge St. It went no further, although it was intended as another route into Delaware.

Obviously the PRR had better things to spend their money on than short-hauling itself for the benefit of shippers on the Delmarva Peninsula, but it kept the charter alive until 1916.

Does anyone know what was at the terminal?
So THAT's why Elkton has a Railroad Ave. that's not immediately alongside the NEC! :-D

motor