Railroad Forums 

• "Central Headlight" - Hammond IL or IN??

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1347533  by wjstix

I was wond-ering about the picture on lower part of page of the Second Quarter 2015 "Central Headlight" (Vol. XLV, No.2). It shows an Indiana Harbor Belt H-5u 2-8-2, with a caption saying the picture was taken "at Hammond, Illinois in September 1938". There is a Hammond IL, about 20 mi. SW of Springfield - which is also as best I can figure the nearest NYC System trackage. I'm wondering if the IHB engine wasn't actually at Hammond INDIANA, near Chicago??
 #1347583  by MACTRAXX

wjstix:

Hammond, Illinois is in Piatt County along US Route 36 east of Decatur - not west of Springfield according to
versions of official Illinois state maps that I have. A east-west CSX route parallels 36 from Decatur east into
Indiana which looks to be a former B&O line. Hammond, IL is a incorporated Village with a population of about
550. I have seen the IHB picture in question and it more then likely is Hammond, Indiana as RR mentions.

MACTRAXX