Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1543591  by newkirk

Back when "B" tower was still functional and not a canvas for graffiti vandals.
1) Handing out train orders on the fly. Is this practice still being used ?
2) Are train orders being handed off to conductor ?
3) Electrification is near, third rail in place sans protection boards.
Attachments:
img857.jpg
img857.jpg (223.76 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
img858.jpg
img858.jpg (213.14 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
img859.jpg
img859.jpg (284.92 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
 #1543608  by krispy

newkirk wrote:Back when "B" tower was still functional and not a canvas for graffiti vandals.
1) Handing out train orders on the fly. Is this practice still being used ?
2) Are train orders being handed off to conductor ?
3) Electrification is near, third rail in place sans protection boards.
Handing orders is still being done occasionally, especially if a freight is involved. They have to go those addressed, usually "C&E", which is conductor and engineer. If the conductor misses his copy the train can proceed, but if the engineer is missed then the train must be stopped. I missed that era when B was open, but some of the older ops enjoyed the tower during the day tours, but the night tour was tough. The block stations out East closed overnight so B had to block all the way out Greenport and when you had several freights running around, it was a very busy manual block job.

It was unique in that the state built the tower when they built the Bethpage parkway, and it's a shame that the kids have vandalized it relentlessly.
 #1543609  by newkirk

Thank you krispy

And now, the original "B" tower.
Attachments:
'B' Tower - Original Structure.jpg
'B' Tower - Original Structure.jpg (280.53 KiB) Viewed 2404 times
 #1543654  by northpit

Not much hooping these days. most times I just stop at the tower and say hello to the operator and he/she hands them to me. when I was younger I would read and make sure there were no discrepancies with the order.today the railroad is a impersonal place so I just grab and go. the operator always seems to be nervous or in a hurry to get back in the tower. their job can be stressful and many younger employees are infamiliar with paperwork.in my 30+ years I never had a case where the conductor didn't receive the order. but I always worked with pro's.the railroad is much more lenient today in regards to proper orders
 #1543662  by newkirk

nyandw wrote: What dates do you have for these photos?
Those three photos were scanned from snapshots that originated as negatives. If they were on 35mm slides, a date on the mount would be a clue. So judging by the last photo of the unfinished third rail, I would say about 1987 or so.
 #1543909  by nyandw

newkirk wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:56 am
Those three photos were scanned from snapshots that originated as negatives. If they were on 35mm slides, a date on the mount would be a clue. So judging by the last photo of the unfinished third rail, I would say about 1987 or so.
Thanks, Bill. Your photo is the first "B" tower constructed in 1925. Looking west in James V. Osborne's c. 1928 image we see the Long Island Motor Parkway trestle just visible in the distance beyond the semaphore block signals. The switch to access the Central branch is in the immediate foreground and appears to be set for a westbound train. This tower's site was smack-dab in the way of the planned parkway to access the new Bethpage state park in 1936. As a result, the 1925 wooden tower was razed and the replacement brick tower constructed slightly east to allow building of this parkway and railroad girder trestle overhead. Compare the 1925 blueprint with the 1936 blueprint for location of tower versus location of parkway. In this image you can see the tower and tracks were built on an embankment with the surrounding ground at quite a lower level from the tracks. It was probably considered an ideal spot for the girder trestle for the parkway, as special grading of the ROW probably didn't have to take place and the tracks could stay pretty much undisturbed during the bridge installation. (Dave Keller data)

More B Tower 75% down the page: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/bethpage/bethpage.htm
 #1544029  by nyandw

And now, the original "B" tower.[/quote]
The photo was taken by block operator James V. Osborne from the back of a moving train eastbound on the Central branch.  Note the smoke from the locomotive that has just passed.! Main line tracks are to the right.  Long Island Motor Parkway trestle is visible in the distance.
To the right of the tower is "BE" temporary block office cabin that handled the switches and signals while the tower was under construction.  It's probably the only view ever taken of that temporary cabin. Closed 8/21/1925 with "B" Tower opening. I'd say the image was shot July of 1925, as it looks nearly completed. Info: Dave Keller 
 #1544057  by newkirk

nyandw wrote: Long Island Motor Parkway trestle is visible in the distance.
Where would the LIMP right of way be today, Bethpage Pkwy ?
 #1544075  by LIHISTORYTRAINS

Actually, the LIMP in this area ran north to south just west of the present day Seaford Oyster Bay Expw. It finally turned to the east and ran along the northern reaches of Bethpage State Park. Check out this excellent interactive map of the LIMP. https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ms ... mwffM&z=12
While we are on the subject there is a wealth of information about the LIMP including many pictures and maps that include both the LIRR Main Line and the LIRR Central branch. There are pictures detailing the LIRR bridge in question. https://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/ Use the Search function (it takes some patience) to find out more.
 #1544078  by LIHISTORYTRAINS

To make it easier, here is the link to the Vanderbuiltcupraces site that details the actual LIMP bridge over the LIRR Main Line at Central Ave. I discovered this site earlier this year and it is a treasure trove of information about both the LIMP and the Central Branch of the LIRR.
https://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/blog ... ilroad_bri
Last edited by LIHISTORYTRAINS on Thu May 28, 2020 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1544128  by MACTRAXX

newkirk wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:56 am
BM:

After two weeks away from the LIRR Forum this is one topic that I want to
reply and mention that your original pictures at B Tower were likely from
the winter of 1986-1987 taking note to the bare trees and new installed
third rail - only needing the fiberglass protection boards to be complete.

The first extension of electrification between Hicksville and Ronkonkoma
was the Bethpage service on or about April 30, 1987. The segment was to
the Merritts Road grade crossing and the 1000 or so feet at B of the Central
Branch - which was used to turn MU trains of up to 12 cars.

The last and current B Tower is a solid structure that became a victim of
vandalism inside and out after the LIRR closed B. Could one of the local
rail enthusiasts groups have made a difference to use, staff or basically
save B Tower instead of letting it go the possible point of no return?

MACTRAXX
 #1545028  by newkirk

More photos for your visual enjoyment.
Attachments:
April 30, 1987 - Bill Mangahas
April 30, 1987 - Bill Mangahas
Apr. 30, 1987 (1).jpg (446.65 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
May 1986 - Bill Mangahas
May 1986 - Bill Mangahas
May 1986 (1).JPG (930.82 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
May 1986 - Bill Mangahas
May 1986 - Bill Mangahas
May 1986 (2).JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1842 times
 #1545058  by MACTRAXX

BM: Again good 80s pictures at B Tower...

The third rail at B Tower was installed during the 1985-1986 Winter season - one year
earlier than the previous mention. The two May 1986 pictures show that the third rails
were fully installed and complete at that point in the vicinity of B Tower. Beginning in
the second half of 1985 third rails began to be placed along the Ronkonkoma Branch
for later installation from west to east with the various track work programs for the
Hicksville-Ronkonkoma Electrification. The earlier picture shows only the
fibreglass insulators put down and the third rail not yet put in place on
track #1 westbound at B Tower which was a clue that it was earlier
than 1987.

Taking note to the date of the picture of MP15 164P (the P suffix were added to MP15
units that had a switch installed for power unit use for those unaware) along with the
parlor car - April 30, 1987 - which was the day Bethpage electrified service began.
I remember that you posted pictures of the MU trains - one of them being a full M3
matched set (the M3 cars were no more than 1-2 years old - built in 1985-86) run for
the dignitaries on that first day. The Hicksville-Ronkonkoma Electrification topic is
probably where those photos were posted and would be the first search point.

MACTRAXX