Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#815155  by greenwichlirr

Noticed this a few years back, but was able to confirm my hazy memories last week:

At Journal Square there is a crossing signal made by the Miniature Train Signal Company. These were made in the 1950's-onward for amusement parks, so my question is what is it doing in a authentic commuter railroad station? How long has it been there? Was this some signal crew deciding to have some fun, or was this actually seriously installed with a purpose?
 #815192  by Terry Kennedy

greenwichlirr wrote:At Journal Square there is a crossing signal made by the Miniature Train Signal Company. These were made in the 1950's-onward for amusement parks, so my question is what is it doing in a authentic commuter railroad station? How long has it been there? Was this some signal crew deciding to have some fun, or was this actually seriously installed with a purpose?
It does operate - both the lights and gate. It is at a somewhat-used employee walkway, between the air handling and other equipment platform and the tower. [There's also access to the equipment platform from behind the ticket machines and map on the lower mezzanine, outside fare control.]
 #815331  by RedLantern

It was probably available for use (maybe ordered by mistake, maybe ordered on purpose as a failed cost-saving experiment) and thus ended up being used. Where it's said that it's an employee crossing, is this a crossing only intended for railroad employees?
 #815334  by Terry Kennedy

RedLantern wrote:Where it's said that it's an employee crossing, is this a crossing only intended for railroad employees?
Correct. At the west end of the NY-bound platform there are 2 sets of steps, one that goes up to the tower and one that goes down from platform level to grade level. There are two tracks between the bottom of those steps and the signal - the (normally) WTC-bound track and a layup track. The walkway continues past the signal - you can go left, which leads to steps up to a platform-height area which contains air handling and other equipment, or you can go right, which leads to a large open area (this is under the Kennedy Blvd. bridge arch) and eventually out to open air to the west of Kennedy Blvd.
 #816145  by umtrr-author

Photography of PATH facilities is prohibited without special permission (there's a thread mentioning that around here somewhere as I remember reading it recently) so not as easy as it seems to grant your request.
 #816698  by Kamen Rider

I was chased away from that once. It was the centenial day free ride event, and I was waiting for a Trade Center bound train and was staring at the thing when a female conductor said I couldn't stand there. I was still on the platform, several feet from the end. She gave me some BS about how I couldn't pass a certain pillar and threatened to call the cops. I told her if she tried, she'd be the one in trouble by the end of the day (and belive me, I can make good on that threat).

Seriously, pale white brooklynese speaking kid with a M*A*S*H* medic sack schoolbag staring at a mini crossing gate. How much harm can I possible cause?
 #816979  by TREnecNYP

They have another, similar crossing gate at the RR east end of the yard in harrison. Train sounds its horns every time through there. It is directly adjacent to the hudson yard complex in amtk territory.

- A
 #817194  by OportRailfan

The gate in question is by Moore tower. I guess after the Hoban Control Center was built in Journal Square, operations moved up there.

I'm not sure what Moore is used for now.