Railroad Forums 

• "A National Insititution" Calendar Top

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#940605  by amoddrell

My Grandfather was a railroad engineer for years and recently passed away. While going through his things I was given a picture he had and I started to do some research on it. It is a 1925 calendar top of Walter L. Greene’s “A National Institution.” It is in a frame, so I do not know if it still has the calendar or even had a calendar. My Grandfather got this picture from a depot in Pasco, so I don't know if he put it in the frame or if someone at the depot did. From asking the family I think someone at the depot put the picture in the frame. On the back of the frame 1922 is written, but everything I have found about this print says it was from 1925. I have no idea about the 1922. I was wondering if anyone had any information about this print or where I can learn more about it please let me know.

Thanks,
Ashley
 #940791  by NYC_Dave

I have two sources that indicate "National Institution" was on the 1926 NYC calendar.
1. A set of 16 NYC calendar prints from 1922-1947.
2. The book "Thoroughbreds" by Alvin Stauffer.

The bridge in the background is the Alfred H. Smith Bridge on the Castleton Cutoff.