Railroad Forums 

• Quiz...

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#636376  by StevieC48

Yea that too but I do recall when the Charlestown El was running I heard a guard mention tht name.
 #636439  by Gerry6309

(Hint) The Haymarket Relief Station played a role in its naming. It stood on top of the portal.
 #636484  by StevieC48

Thanks for the hint wasn't thinking of it.. It can be found in the Imiages of America Tremont St Subway I think that is the name.
 #636532  by BigUglyCat

StevieC48 wrote:Thanks for the hint wasn't thinking of it.. It can be found in the Imiages of America Tremont St Subway I think that is the name.
Do you mean Trolleys Under the Hub? Images of America, Arcadia, 1997, by Frank Cheney and Anthony M. Sammarco, ISBN 0-7524-0907-7. See page 32 bottom and 33 top for photos of the tunnel entrances below the Haymarket Relief Hospital.

Pete
 #636578  by Gerry6309

OK Pete, now that we know another name for the building, the Junction was the "________ Switch"
 #636635  by StevieC48

Yea that is the name of of the book sorry.
 #636698  by BigUglyCat

StevieC48 wrote:Yea that is the name of of the book sorry.
Stevie: no problem. I just wondered if I needed to buy another book. :wink:

OK, Gerry, I guess it's the Haymarket Relief Switch. I guess that beats something like "Switch XYZ123." :-D
 #636703  by Gerry6309

BigUglyCat wrote:
StevieC48 wrote:Yea that is the name of of the book sorry.
Stevie: no problem. I just wondered if I needed to buy another book. :wink:

OK, Gerry, I guess it's the Haymarket Relief Switch. I guess that beats something like "Switch XYZ123." :-D
Nope! But very close.

BTW it was Stevie's question, I just provided the hint.
 #636909  by Cosmo

I'm just guessing here,...

"Hospital Switch"?
 #636996  by Gerry6309

Cosmo wrote:I'm just guessing here,...

"Hospital Switch"?
Correct!
That took about two days longer than it should have!
The name long outlasted the the building...
The outbound switch was under the building while the inbound switch was just outside the portal. Until Haymarket was reconfigured in the 70s, the Canal St. tracks continued all the way through to Brattle Loop. I am not sure if there was any access from Lechmere at that time. Cars from Clarendon Hill running throuh would loop at Arlington and Columbus after the cars exited at Broadway and Tremont.
 #637081  by Cosmo

To quote Cpl Agarne from F-Troop,...

"Who says I'm not so smart?!?!"

I know, I saw the question 2 days ago too, but it's been a looonng week. :wink:
 #642037  by 3rdrail

Quiz-
What station on the Main Line was an afterthought ? It was constructed after original design and construction of the elevated structure past this point, and it's passenger foyer was actually constructed by a method of hanging from the El structure.
 #642044  by Cosmo

Oh geez....
it's been so long since I've seen ANY of it! But I'm guessing..... Dover?
 #642045  by jonnhrr

3rdrail wrote:Quiz-
What station on the Main Line was an afterthought ? It was constructed after original design and construction of the elevated structure past this point, and it's passenger foyer was actually constructed by a method of hanging from the El structure.
I would guess Thompson Sq. on the Charlestown section.

Dover St. and City Sq. had stations that were originally center platform then later changed to be outside platforms.

Jon
 #642048  by 3rdrail

Nope. Dover was part of the original Main Line specs when the line was Dudley-Sullivan Sq. At the time, that section of the South End was a bustling commercial, residential, and industrial area with a large hotel (The Roosevelt) right at the foot of the station's stairway. Here's a shot long after it's better days:

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?200 ... s&BOOL=ALL

Thompson Square is also incorrect, which had a large residential and industrial base of passengers as well.