Railroad Forums 

• Questions on Crossrail, Thameslink, ELL etc...

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#206862  by Sir Ray

After spending too much time perviewing a usenet thread about someone's fantasy Crossrail map (and posts from his many detractors), I was hoping that the Worldwide Railfan forum community could clear up some questions I have (Sorry, but after reviewing some 'offical' websites I could on these topics, I feel British Consultantcies give US Marketing Agencies and Politicians a run for their money in obscufation and misinformation :( ).
So, could anyone please inform me...

What exactly is Thameslink - what rolling stock does it use and how does it operate (Underground style, Suburban Commuter rail style, Shuttle, other?) - how/from what routes was it created? When did it come into existance. Does it integrate with other systems?
What was the Thameslink 2000 plan(s) supposed to do?
I think I understand Crossrail - well, I though I did, but after reading 200 differing opinions on that usenet thread, what really is it suppose to do? And again, what rolling stock, what operations, intergrate with what other systems (somehow Milton Keynes plays a role in this whole mess :P )
East London Line - seems like a good idea, a North South route across Eat London ... but there seems a lot of contraversy here - also, was this commuter, tube stock, mainline, other?
North London Line and... GOBLIN? What are these exactly, and who runs them (and what is this talk of large amounts of Freight traffic on these lines).
London Airport, Olympic Sites - what plans, if any, are there to link these to rail transit (some sites say none)
Finally, I think I understand the whole Eurostar Terminal and Route, but is the current plan pretty sensible? It seems to be sending the trains across the Thames and then curving around south into St. Pancras station, as opposed to the current Waterloo station in southern London.

#206918  by David Benton

hi Sir Ray ,
i was there in the late 80 's , when most of these schemes were in the planning stage or just been introduced . hopefully i dont confuse you more .
the thameslink line is a south-london , north-london link .it winds for i think London bridge ( might be waterloo east ) across through the city of london ( cannon street , Farringdon ) , to the kings corss thames link station , which is liked to kingscross by uindergroung walkway .
services that used the link then ran from brigthon or gatwick airport , ans far north as peterborough , and maybe Bedford , or another station starting with B . services were limited to 1 or 2 an hour , and i think there was actually less through services in the peak hour . ( limited capacity in the central city station ).

the stock used are a hybrid commtur emu , third rail for south London lines , and pantogragh for north london lines . i think it would have come into existance mid 80's .

The north london line actually starts in richmond ( southwest london ) heads north , then goes across the north of london . at different times i worked in both richmond and north london , so use it a few times . again it is not normal commuter frequency , maybe 1/2 hourly service . a nice ride to get a different view of london . plus you corss alot of mainlines radiating out of the main london terminals .

the original cross rail proposal was to link Paddington (pretty sure ) to liverpool street ( not so sure , could be fenchurch street ) station .
with a deep tunnel , that would be big enough to accomodate full size rolling stock . in this way both lines could offer one train service to central london , i believe this was more the aim rather than to provide service for eat to west regions .

The rest i havent kept tabs with , the chunnel plans are abit bewildering , but i think it was mainly enviromental considerations which have influenced the route .
 #206975  by george matthews

Sir Ray wrote:After spending too much time perviewing a usenet thread about someone's fantasy Crossrail map (and posts from his many detractors), I was hoping that the Worldwide Railfan forum community could clear up some questions I have (Sorry, but after reviewing some 'offical' websites I could on these topics, I feel British Consultantcies give US Marketing Agencies and Politicians a run for their money in obscufation and misinformation :( ).
So, could anyone please inform me...

What exactly is Thameslink - what rolling stock does it use and how does it operate (Underground style, Suburban Commuter rail style, Shuttle, other?) - how/from what routes was it created? When did it come into existance. Does it integrate with other systems?
What was the Thameslink 2000 plan(s) supposed to do?
I think I understand Crossrail - well, I though I did, but after reading 200 differing opinions on that usenet thread, what really is it suppose to do? And again, what rolling stock, what operations, intergrate with what other systems (somehow Milton Keynes plays a role in this whole mess :P )
East London Line - seems like a good idea, a North South route across East London ... but there seems a lot of contraversy here - also, was this commuter, tube stock, mainline, other?
North London Line and... GOBLIN? What are these exactly, and who runs them (and what is this talk of large amounts of Freight traffic on these lines).
London Airport, Olympic Sites - what plans, if any, are there to link these to rail transit (some sites say none)
Finally, I think I understand the whole Eurostar Terminal and Route, but is the current plan pretty sensible? It seems to be sending the trains across the Thames and then curving around south into St. Pancras station, as opposed to the current Waterloo station in southern London.
Thameslink:

There was a pre-existing line from Moorgate to the outer suburban lines of the Great Northern and Midland railways. I remember using it in the 1950s, as I used to commute from Aldgate to Paddington. In those days it was steam hauled.

Before the 1939 war there was a tunnel from Aldersgate/Farringdon under Smithfield market to Blackfriars. It remained in use for occasional freight trains into the 1950s but was then abandoned. The Greater London Council noticed this tunnel and agitated for it to be revived. Eventually in the 1980s it was rebuilt as a line connecting the third rail network south of the Thames with the overhead line network north of the Thames. Dual power trains were built. The change from third rail to overhead occurs at Farringdon station. The only tunnel to be restored was the western leg of a triangle, the other leg could have allowed southern trains to reach Moorgate.

The service that has survived on this tunnel route is the Bedford to Brighton via Gatwick service and an inner suburban loop via Wimbledon.

Thameslink 2000 is to increase the service to take in the Great Northern routes at Kings Cross, as well as the existing Midland routes. I am not sure what additional services would be built south of the Thames. It needs some engineering and construction. The bottleneck on this route is a complicated junction at Borough Market. Additional links from the new Kings Cross station to the Great Northern lines need to be built, as these were abandoned decades ago.

Crossrail is to connect the Great Western routes with the Great Eastern. It will take people through the city in an East-West direction. It needs a hugely expensive tunnel from Paddington to about Stratford. The details of the plan keep changing. The earliest it was proposed was probably the 19th century. Will it ever be built? The problem is the money. The government keeps putting it off. A special levy on the city banks ought to pay for it, as in Paris where an employer's tax has paid for about 7 of these RER lines. There is endless argument about what services would use Crossrail if built. One service would certainly be the Heathrow Express, extended to the City and perhaps beyond to Stratford. At present the usual plan is to go to Maidenhead, but everyone asks: why not Reading, or even Oxford?

East London
This line is certainly going ahead. It uses Brunel's original tunnel under the Thames. Since then it has been a short line, part of the Underground network but not used to anything like its potential. It became more important with the Millennium Dome, and a connection was made with the new Jubilee extension built in 2000 at Canada Water. The idea is to extend trains from its current southern terminus (New Cross Gate) to use the Southeastern third rail network as far as Croydon or Clapham Junction. The northern line would be extended to Dalston or Highgate on the North London line. Together with new services on the West London line this would make almost an Outer Circle service.
Freight
There is no freight on Thameslink, East London or any other lines mentioned here. There will be none in the future. No Intercity trains use them or will.
The West London line has some freight connecting Willesden and Channel Tunnel, and possibly from the Great Western to Southampton. There are also a few cross London Intercity trains but nothing like as many as British Rail planned. At present there is a short service from Clapham Junction (mixed third rail and overhead) to Willesden Junction. There is also a service from Watford Junction to Gatwick and beyond. This used to go as far as Rugby (via Milton Keynes) but there are said to be capacity problems on the West Coast mainline so passengers now have to change at Watford. Occasionally Branson says he would like to run a Eurostar from Watford, but that is unlikely (it would need a secure station with Immigration control).
The North London line is mainly a suburban electric line (partly third rail and partly overhead) from Richmond to Stratford (and at present to North Woolwich). There is some freight on part of that connecting the West Coast Mainline and the East Coast mainline. There is an extra electrified overhead track for freight along part of its route. At one time it was proposed that regional Eurostar services would use it. It is still possible that Eurostars from the new St Pancras station may use part of it to connect to Birmingham, but doubtful.
Eurostar
St Pancras will allow passengers from north of London to transfer easily, especially if they come from the Midlands or the North. The trains will leave London on a High Speed line and will not be slowed down by any of the third rail network they have to use at present. I will be sad because at present I could take a train from Bournemuth to Waterloo and change there (but actually, I never do). Some of them will stop at Stratford International, and possibly Ebbsfleet (though I doubt there will be many) and others at Ashford International. No domestic passengers are allowed to use Eurostar (government regulations) so each Eurostar station needs an expensive airport style immigration and security check.
Part of the new high speed tunnel from St Pancras will be used for Olympic specials. There will also be outer suburban trains from Kent. I am not sure of the details of these services but they will be needed to keep the HSL busy. There will probably be new Eurostar trains. For example, full sized French TGV trains will be able to use the new link, and also German IC trains. Will they? We shall see. The new trains would not need a third rail capability and could not use the ordinary network (because too high and wide).

#207045  by george matthews

The Channel Tunnel Rail Link (CTRL) has been designed to have freight capability. That is, there are sidings or loops off the main line to hold freight trains to allow Eurostars and other high speed trains to pass. However, there is some doubt about whether freight will actually use this line.

One possibility is that they pass only at night.

But there is a problem about allowing two different types of train to use the same track. Freight trains, unless High Speed Parcels using ordinary TGV shells, cause wear on the track in a different manner to the passenger trains.

One type of business proposed has been lorry shuttles from near Lille to Dagenham. This would avoid the congestion on the motorways on both sides, but especially on the M20 and M2 in Kent and the M25 Dartford Crossing. However, I haven't heard any progress on this proposal since the French took over Eurotunnel about two years ago.
Last edited by george matthews on Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#207136  by Sir Ray

Well, thanks, everyone for such detailed explantions - I haven't fully grasped everything yet on just one read through, but I'll try to get a map and go over all the responses again.
It seems to me that most of the routes (Thames, ELL, NLL...and I guess part of the future Crossrail) were mainline or commuter lines (in the steam era?), and so probably have a larger loading gauge than purely tube design.

#207148  by george matthews

Sir Ray wrote:Well, thanks, everyone for such detailed explantions - I haven't fully grasped everything yet on just one read through, but I'll try to get a map and go over all the responses again.
It seems to me that most of the routes (Thames, ELL, NLL...and I guess part of the future Crossrail) were mainline or commuter lines (in the steam era?), and so probably have a larger loading gauge than purely tube design.
The East London line did have freight, a long time ago. I don't believe any long distance passenger trains ever used it. At present there is no connection with the Liverpool street tracks at Shoreditch, its northern terminus. There must have been a connection in the past.

The Thameslink tunnel did have freight, and I remember seeing it in the 1950s - a tank engine and a few wagons. But that was the time when wagonload freight still existed. It has nothing at all to do with modern conditions.

Thameslink is a purely passenger route with an intensive service all day. Most of the time the trains are very crowded. The main problem is that it is impossible to lengthen trains to 12 carriages because so many of the stations are limited in length. To lengthen Farringdon would require building the platform across the Moorgate line, which would have to close. I sometimes wonder whether the eastern branch of the Snow Hill tunnel could be reopened to bring Southern trains to Moorgate. Probably the tunnel is blocked by buildings above it sinking their foundations into it.

Only the West London line has freight, and it is in fact the furthest east route between north and south of London. It has two types of freight: Wembley to Cheriton for the Tunnel; West Coast mainline to the Southwest mainline. Tunnel traffic can be hauled by class 92 dual power locomotives, built to be able to use overhead and third rail. Other trains use diesel.

Intercity trains used to be diesel hauled from the south coast and change to overhead electric at the point where the west London line meets the West Coast mainline. Nowadays those that remain are Voyager DMUs and run with diesel under the wires (something I deplore).

Crossrail will be an entirely passenger route and will use full sized mainline trains. There will be no Intercity trains as far as one can tell. However, there is a plan called Superlink which envisages longer distance trains, but these will still be ordinary EMUs. No London Underground trains will use Crossrail.

Locomotive hauled trains are rapidly dying out all over the system, as throughout Europe.