Railroad Forums 

• Questions for engineers

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#94338  by BoilerBob

I would like to see a new topic called "Questions for Engineers". Hopefully locomotive engineers will answer questions from non-railroad types such as myself. And is this the proper forum to place such a topic?
 #94503  by GOLDEN-ARM

What did you want to know, Bob ?

#94626  by BoilerBob

Since I live in Delaware, my questions will deal mostly with the NEC and passenger operations.

Thanks in advance to all that answer.

#126350  by route_rock

Ask away, someone will pipe up with an answer! BTW Arm love the quote first heard that in a story about the Omaha road. Isn't it so true.

#126697  by GOLDEN-ARM

Certainly been true, on every class 1 I haved worked for, the class 2 roads as well!!!
 #217809  by BoilerBob

How do engineers on the NEC know what the track speed is? Do they have something in the cab that gives them an indication of the speed limit?

#217813  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

yes there is a signal display unit in the cab that shows the track speed, as well as the signal that you have. The engineer also needs to know the territory that he/she works in and they need to know when the speed increases on the track or decreases, they can't just rely on the cab display unit

#218324  by roadster

Engineers and conductor are issued and must carry a copy of the Division Timetable on which they operate. The time table includes max. speeds permitted, permanet speed restrictions and were they are located. This is part of being qualified on the territory.

#219003  by GOLDEN-ARM

As well as the Timetable, and Special Instructions, there is also a Daily Bulletin, with temporary speed restrictions, and other other info, and some roads also have a weekly bulletin, in conjunction with a daily. An average engineer will have to read, process and follow the instructions, on literally tens of thousands of pages of bulletins, in any given year, on a "big" railroad. That's the side of the job, the buffs just don't seem to understand. It's not just highballin' and waving to the fans....... :wink:

#219300  by BoilerBob

I thought there was more to being an engineer than just running the locomotive. There is and always will be PAPER WORK. A large company or the government cannot survive without it.