Railroad Forums 

• Questions about PAR (Springfield Terminal) in Waterbury, CT

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1205862  by Plainvilletrainbuff

On my drive over the plainville yard this morning there were four locovotives in yard all connected. Also of note was that it appears that they are beginnin to use plainville as a pick up location vs a resting place for cars until they are delivered to customers in bristol, and plainville. Just the other day there was a lumber car being unloaded onto a tractor trailer.
 #1227076  by Plainvilletrainbuff

It seems that more and more lumber is being unloaded in plainville. There are currently about 15-20 box cars in the yard that are visible. I have seen them unloading lumber before from the box cars but have not been able to confirm if everything is being unloaded in plainville or if it just a holding place for further movement at a later date.
 #1232059  by Engineer Spike

I grew up in Plainville yard. My family had a trucking company that transloaded freight from rail to road.I remember PC, and CR, but I really got into it by the late 1980s.

In that time they had 3 jobs, PL1, WA1, and PLED/EDPL. The road job ran overnight. The units were split between the two locals. Next the cars were switched between Plainville and Waterbury. Lots of the time WA1 was heavy. PL1 would arrange to go to Carnation or New Departure, in Bristol. PL1 would push to the tunnel, and go up the branch to do Carnation.

WA1 did work in the city at Waterbury Republican, Tilcon, and Porta Nova. Sometimes they went to Albert Bros. scrap on the north end, a remnant of the Watertown Branch, and Stone Container in Torrington. Other days was to Derby Jct.
On the Derby Jct. days I sometimes got candy bars, since they spotted corn syrup at Peter Paul.

PL1 would return from Bristol and do Tilcon in Plainville, Stanley Works a and Perma Treat in New Britain. They would also work the Canal in both directions.

When PLED could no longer make it to ED, due to the deterioration of the Conn River, they changer to PLSP, which met a turn out of ED at Springfield.