Railroad Forums 

• Question

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #915836  by wbill500

If the new york and altantic railway Had a freight opninng on Oyster bay Branch, how would the go about getting permissoion to use the tracks
 #917006  by workextra

Simply put, they would need to get the crews PC and rules in effect qualified on the branch, that's all. (simply) nothing is ever that simple though.
 #917404  by Sir Ray

Well, besides getting the crews qualified for the branch, first they are going to need to arrange with the MTA/LIRR rights to service this new customer. I don't think NY&A currently has the right to run on the Oyster Bay Branch, (and since there are no current clients on the branch, probably didn't need to).
Wasn't this mentioned in the other Oyster Bay Branch thread you started in the LIRR forum, wbill500?
 #924842  by RogerOverOutRR

They are qualified on Nassau Interlocking, which allows them to operate one train length east of Bridge 8 in Nassau Interlocking. They aren't permitted past that point.
 #925011  by railfan365

What does NYA have to do exactly to be "qualified" on a given banch? Isn't running trains more or less the same on every branch? Does qualification mean having negotiated the right to go on a given branch with LIRR?
 #925049  by tahawus84

They must take a test and know where all signals, crossings, and what other characteristics of the line are.
 #925209  by railfan365

tahawus84 wrote:They must take a test and know where all signals, crossings, and what other characteristics of the line are.
Thanks. In asking my question, I suppose that I took for granted that knowing the significant peculiarities of the line came with the territory.