Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1319984  by NeoArashi

I'm about to book a Montreal-Amherst Train, but I want to experience their ''Cabins for 2''.

For a one way trip, the price is shown as 341.48$ Taxes included. Is this the price per person for a double occupancy, or is it the price I will actually pay if I book, despite being alone?
 #1320105  by Ken V

NeoArashi wrote:I'm about to book a Montreal-Amherst Train, but I want to experience their ''Cabins for 2''.

For a one way trip, the price is shown as 341.48$ Taxes included. Is this the price per person for a double occupancy, or is it the price I will actually pay if I book, despite being alone?
That is the price you would pay. For two people sharing the cabin the price would be 593.28$. If you don't have to travel on a specific date you might wait for a 50% off sale or you could look for a deal online on "discount Tuesdays".
 #1320306  by marquisofmississauga

As you can see, the supplement for single occupancy for a "cabin for 2" is a mere 15%. That is low because there are no roomettes (cabin for 1) as there are on the Budd sleepers. If you want a cabin for 2 for your own use on a Budd sleeper the supplement is 50%. One of the many aspects of the Renaissance sleepers that I like is the low surcharge for single use of the cabins. My wife and I always take two rooms on the Ren. sleepers so we don't have to deal with the inconvenience of an upper berth. Two double rooms on the Canadian is not in our budget - nor is the drawing room (cabin for 3) which gives two lower beds. Sadly, the drawing rooms on the Canadian and the Ocean are never discounted.
 #1320510  by NeoArashi

Great! Thank you for your answers.

See, my plans is to spend most of my 1st week of vacations to P-I-E. And while I may take a regular seat for the "going" trip (since I may het to sleep in either Moncton, Sackville or Amherst), I will do the return trip in a single show (no stop overs) so I wanted to be able to sleep "comfortably".

Will definitely book once I get my vacation check... and my vacation dates ;)