Railroad Forums 

• Question Regarding Lower Montauk Branch

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #318498  by iamchris9119

Hi there -

I have a question regarding Lower Montauk Branch - I know this is a freight-only branch, but on average, how frequently do freights pass through on a typical weekday?

#318562  by SwitchMonkey

One run west in the AM over the Montauk Cutofff secondary towards LIC Yard, One run east back to the Pond in the PM, with a stop at Maspeth yard (Nichols Siding).

Ocassionally the RS-409 (the flying Demeglios) run to LIC and back on Saturday or in the late afternoon.
 #318831  by Lirr168

iamchris9119 wrote:Hi there -

I have a question regarding Lower Montauk Branch - I know this is a freight-only branch, but on average, how frequently do freights pass through on a typical weekday?
Not just freight only - the LIRR runs a number of equipment trains on the branch in addition to one EB and one WB train each rush hour.

#318833  by iamchris9119

ohh really? I must've confused it with the Bushwick branch then? And isn't there another? Which is the frieght line that runs over the mainline after Jamaica (west of)? I think it's a single track, and saw a long freight (for LI standards) running southbound on it.
 #318929  by Ocala Mike

That would have to be the Bay Ridge branch, Chris, always freight-only trackage. One of the NY&A experts on here could probably fill you on on the moves over it.

#320953  by phantom

Wow this still works! OK what's the question? The -40 makes the LIC/ Maspeth turn 5 days a week - Mon. thru Fri. with a Sat. turn by the -70, usually. This traffic is a substantial part of NY&A operations. It sometimes surpasses the traffic moved east of Pond! The Bay Ridge branch is another booming operation. The traffic levels on this branch continues to grow, along with the interchange with NS. If we could only figure out when/how/will they float!? Stay tuned!

#354765  by Spartan Phalanx

Yesterday I saw a repainted GP38-2 westbound past the Richmond Hill team yard with a couple of loaded gondolas and a bunch of empty centerbeam flatcars. Strange to see an NYA train with only one locomotive. Anybody know where this train was coming from and who the empties were from.

In the Richmond Hill team yard, there was a single loaded centerbeam. Still there today, not yet unloaded.

#354799  by John 61

On thursday # 270 was the lone engine on the 5 car freight to Port Jefferson. Today they went to Port Jeff again with 261 and 270 and two cars.

#354975  by Spartan Phalanx

They must've picked up the loaded gondolas in Hicksville Yard on the way back, I guess. 270 is a sharp-looking engine.