Railroad Forums 

• Question: Mansfield industrial park, new customer?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#109550  by 16trouble

I took a ride today on the mountain bike through the Cabot industrial park. Saw nine cars at Best Buy and two at the paper recycling company. The building on the siding to best buy (Greif corp. on Plymouth Stret) had what looked like a new connecting hose/pipe for a tank car? Could this be why I saw a tank car in Attleboro last week? What is the story? Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks. Larry B. 16trouble

#110144  by rb

What is Best Buy getting by rail? Or is that the Home Depot reload center?

#111105  by CSX Conductor

Best Buy does not receive anything by rail.

There aren't any new customers in that industrial park that receive tanks or covered hoppers.

The tank you saw may have been from Teknor-Apex in Attleboro, which is serviced by B726.

#111280  by 16trouble

CSX Conductor: The siding is on the other side of the tracks from the one that was used to serve the Chrysler plant. It is off to the south under 495. There were four cars there today. When I rode around to the front (last fall), it looked like Best Buy. The Greif warehouse (next door)definately has a new (round 4 to 6 inch diameter? about 2 foot off the ground )pipe that has two places to connect to at the number one door on the siding. No hoppers anywhere in the park, agreed but could you identify coustomer if not best buy and why would they have new connection if they were not looking to utilize the siding to receive something by tank car? Also, on the other side of the park, there is a siding with (fiberglass?) lining over the ground that used to supply ink? Looks to have cost someone a lot of money. Any chance of getting them back? I think I counted 16 sidings or more in that park. I think that only two are being used now. It is a shame. Also, is there any chance the ADM (chocolate) factory could be getting tank cars in the future? Is anyone trying to get back lost/get new business? Thanks. Not trying to be a pain, just curious. Something interesting seems to be going on at Greif though. Larry B. 16trouble

#111816  by 16trouble

"Best Buy" is somethng like Best Buy Logistics which has Barett Distribution listed under it on the sign. Larry B. 16trouble

#112706  by CSX Conductor

I beleive that Barrett is receiving wine and rice and some other bulk food products. The used to be up at Rte.128.

As for trying to get more business or getting old customers back, the local trainmasters welcome it, but rumor has it that some of the higher-up's don't seem to care either way. :-(

#112811  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

Does anybody know where I can find a layout of the park? Like what the track configuration is and such?

#112913  by CSX Conductor

I believe that different properties throughout the industrial park are owned/managed by different property managers............no one specific person to turn to. :-(

I drew out maps on paper when qualifying on the job, but can't find them, sorry.

#112914  by CSX Conductor

Perhaps try contacting the town of Mansfield for blueprints or maps.