Railroad Forums 

• QUESTION FOR DL&W

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#253307  by henry6

Question for DL&W WESTENDERS: The Phoebe Snow #6 was always backed out of Hoboken and wyed at West End then pulled back into Hoboken for preparation as the next days #3. How and where was she turned in Buffalo?

#253426  by livesteamer

How about another question related to the DL&W's long distance trains? Were all the LD trains serviced/prepared in the station tracks. I am assuming that Miss Snow was prepped on its departure track.

#254800  by pdtrains

I remember it being prepped in the station at Hoboken.

10am departure (or so) and seemed it was always on track 8.

Mostly 2 E-8's in the mid 60's, but I remember seeing F-3B's Between the E's at least once.

pdt

#255531  by pdman

When #6 arrived at 6:30, it was then pulled out to the wye west of the tunnels. I don't know whether that switcher went to the other end of the train out there or not. The lights were turned off or low in the cars. I don't know whether the cleaners were on at that point or not. It was an eerie sight. AIR, the coaches and diner were turned for #7, The Westerner, that departed with a Nickle Plate sleeper at 8:05pm. Too, I think the #3 coaches the next morning were made up with inbounds from early morning #8 and #10.

As far as I remember, #3 was always placed onto Track 8. I don't ever remember the dining car being serviced in the terminal. Same for the liquid refreshments that were provisioned for the observation cars.

When I did see the train being backed into the terminal, it was usually with a switcher. The two E8s were backed in then connected up.

The departure of #3 was an event.

This is all 44 years of memory, so I welcome any clarifications and corrections.
 #255966  by henry6

I am quite familiar with the Hoboken end of the proceedings. It is the west end, Buffalo, that I am asking about.