Railroad Forums 

• Question about the old Pine Aire station on the KO Branch

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1619034  by Trainmaster5

Where exactly was the station located ? I used to ride to the next station which was Brentwood which is east of the Pine Aire location. The switch to Pilgrim was west of the station. I was under the impression that Pine Aire was in Brentwood but passing by recently I saw a NYA sign saying that it was located in Bay Shore. Maybe someone can clear things up for me. Thanks.
 #1619054  by Trainmaster5

Half a mile east of today’s Deer Park station and not the older one, correct ? I’ve stopped there on my way to Brentwood when it was single tracked back in the day. What I’m trying to figure out is that the Pilgrim spur cut out before the Sagtikos crossing on the western side of the parkway and the Pine Aire station was on the eastern side. I always thought that was Brentwood and not Bay Shore. I’ve seen people say that the present day Deer Park station is actually in Brentwood. Just trying to get my bearings
 #1619055  by nyandw

Maps are 1966 LIRR:

Pine Aire: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Pine%2 ... 20Aire.htm

Deer Park: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Deer%2 ... erpark.htm

As walked and drawn by Henry Raudenbush 1952-1955

More: LIRR website http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrcontents.htm
 #1619074  by MACTRAXX

T5: Pine-Aire was at Mile 39.2 (from LIC) just east of the Sagtikos Parkway overpass along Pine-Aire Drive.
There was a siding between Pine-Aire and SG (just west of the Fifth Avenue crossing) at Mile 39.8 that had
a capacity of 68 50 foot cars - and was regularly used for passenger train "meets" before the changes that
added a full second track through that area with the Hicksville-Ronkonkoma Electrification. The Pine-Aire
Station was closed in October 1986 when the relocated Deer Park Station was opened.

Steve Lynch's Pine-Aire page shows the location of where the station was - which is now a NYA facility for
freight service - the T intersection of Pine-Aire Drive and Manatuck Boulevard is adjacent. Being that this
location is on the south side of the LIRR tracks West Brentwood and/or North Bay Shore can be used for
the location. If anyone has older Hagstrom's Atlases or Maps of Suffolk County the area can be spotted...

Pilgrim was at Mile 38.7 which is west of the Sagtikos Parkway Bridge. SG to the east at 39.8 was a Block
Station open from 5:30 AM to 9:30 PM Monday thru Friday - and a Block Limit Station at all other times.
I use a May 25, 1970 LIRR ETT for research such as this...MACTRAXX
 #1620101  by Trainmaster5

freightguy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:14 am It's literally the parking lot for the LIRR MofW and NYAR crews. Pineaire Drive just a bit East of Brentwood Fire Department Company 5
You’ve actually given me the answer I was looking for. As someone else pointed out it’s across from the 7-11. It’s next to the Brentwood Fire Department and east of the Sagtikos. When the double track idea was first proposed the assemblyman said that the elimination of the Brentwood station would be “third” station in the area removed .He included Pilgrim State, and Pine Aire station in his remarks. This is what confused me when I saw the signage on the fence with a Bay Shore address next door to the Brentwood Fire Station. Heck, the driving range across from the new Deer Park station has an Edgewood, Brentwood zip code and that’s west of the old Pine Aire station.
 #1620120  by Trainmaster5

EdwardHand wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:14 pm The third station was Wyandanch, Pilgrim was already long gone.
I think the assemblyman and his staff were referring to the stations that existed in their lifetimes in Brentwood. I’m old enough to remember when all of them were in use. I first saw Pilgrim in the early sixties when we visited a relative who was there. We came by car. 42 years ago my in-laws moved to Brentwood. I remember the single track diesels stopping there. I worked at NYCTA back then and the last westbound left Brentwood at 4:23 pm for me to get to my job on time. Next westbound was at 7:23 pm so I had to get that 4:23 train. I actually had to climb up on the trailing diesel on the east end a few times but the conductor was understanding and just warned me. Old Deer Park, Grumman I’ve stopped at all of them.