Railroad Forums 

• Question About Signal On PVL In Hillsdale:

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#6960  by GSP163

Driving through Hillsdale has anyone ever noticed the signal just north of Orchard St. & Hillsdale Ave. crossing?? The top signal is green at all times exept when a train just goes through (then it turns red then eventually yellow).....However there is a 2nd signal on the bottom and that is always red.....Whats the deal with these signals being on all the time and why is the bottom on always red??.....This is my first post here and I really no nothing about railroad signals and what they mean....Hopefully I will learn more as I try and keep active on this board.....Thank you.

#6979  by Jtgshu

Well, the signal green over red is a Clear signal. The signal drops to a stop signal (stop and proceed if an automatic - has numbers below it) (red over red) and then when the train is moving down the line and moving through the signal blocks, the signal will raise to an approach (yellow over red) then eventually when that train is far enough away, it will raise to a clear (green over red)

If there are other lights on the bottom signal face (the one you say is always red) but not lit, that means that the signal can display other signals, such as yellow over green (approach medium), red over green (limited clear) etc. Its just that you never saw them light up. But some signals are designed to display only certain types of signals, meaning that some lights might be blanked out or missing.

#7268  by hsr_fan

Is this near the Wendy's by any chance?

#7472  by GSP163

Is this near the Wendy's by any chance?
YES!!