Railroad Forums 

• Question About Rail Transfer Fare

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1342298  by jamesinclair

nick11a wrote:Glad it worked out well. As for the Coast Line, yes, it isn't exactly fast for a good part of it. If you want speed, the ACL and NEC are best.
99% of my riding is on the NEC so it had been quite some time since I was on a train that spent 50% of its time laying on the horn and crossing bridges as 20mph.
 #1342300  by philipmartin

jamesinclair wrote:
nick11a wrote:Glad it worked out well. As for the Coast Line, yes, it isn't exactly fast for a good part of it. If you want speed, the ACL and NEC are best.
99% of my riding is on the NEC so it had been quite some time since I was on a train that spent 50% of its time laying on the horn and crossing bridges as 20mph.
When I ride the NEC coming west about 5 or 6 o'clock on a weekday evenings, a fast trip is unusual. Long Branch and Bay Head trains have non-stop schedules from Newark to Woodbridge, but there are frequently locals getting in your way and just plain slow speeds which us passengers don't know the reason for.
I never thought about speed on the Coast Line. The stations are close together, and from South Amboy west all trains are local. If you want a fast ride across the Raritan River, have your water wings ready.
Last edited by philipmartin on Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1342309  by loufah

It looks like NJT website is pricing most trips that originate or pass through Denville and terminate on the Montclair-Boonton line as if the rider transfers at Newark Broad Street. Do the TVM's show the same pricing?
 #1342314  by quadrock

Yes, I have experienced the same $9.00 fare to Hackettstown when purchasing a ticket from a TVM. I've only ever boarded at Newark Broad Street or Montclair Heights but at both places, the TVM listed a $9.00 one-way fare.
 #1343449  by jamesinclair

philipmartin wrote:
I never thought about speed on the Coast Line. The stations are close together, and from South Amboy west all trains are local. If you want a fast ride across the Raritan River, have your water wings ready.
I was on a special summer shore express train so we actually did skip various stations past amboy