Railroad Forums 

• Question about observing/filming passing freight trains

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#1556162  by Kwantumnaut

Hello! New member to the site here, and fairly new to railfanning. I'm just wondering what are some unspoken rules and things that go without saying that one should know, when just simply watching, but also when/if you want to film a passing train? (Of course other than like not standing 2 ft. away from the track)

And also, when it comes to recording, does the driver inside the cab of a passing train mind or have any problem with someone clearly holding their phone up to film the passing train, or is it not a problem? Thank you!
 #1556206  by eolesen

Make sure you aren't within 25 feet of the track. Otherwise you're probably trespassing unless you're on a public street or station platform.

Many train crews definitely mind being recorded. You're using them for your enjoyment and they have no say in the matter...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1557945  by jwhite07

To expand on this - yes, keep on public property and well away from the tracks. If you wonder at all "should I be here in this spot?" or "should I be taking pictures of this?", listen to yourself. "The gate in the fence was open" is not permission to enter!

If you keep the focus of your filming on the train and not the crew itself, it's usually better. Railfans with cameras are no strangers to train crews, but blatantly focusing on the engineer in the cab window or the trainmen on the ground coupling cars and throwing switches is often not well appreciated. Despite being very interesting from a railfan perspective, the crew doesn't know if you're just a curious buff interested in the human element of railroading, or if you're the company man out filming then to see if you can catch them doing something against the rules, or a private eye their ex-spouse has hired to take pictures of them at work. Unless you know them or have been given permission to do so by them, a train crew will appreciate you keeping your filming of them as incidental as possible.