Railroad Forums 

• Question about engine too wheels power

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#218548  by Steve F45

I have wondered for probably most my life how do the engines deliver the power to the wheels? I thought they had somekind of driveshaft until about a year ago.

Can someone elaborate for me how does the engine deliver the power to the driver wheels?

#218556  by David Benton

in most cases , the engine turns a alternator , which produces power , which is used to run electric motors that turn the wheels .

#218633  by jmp883

Correct....on most diesel units there is a traction motor on each axle. Electricity generated by the prime mover turning a generator or alternator is routed to the traction motors. That is why the correct term for a diesel locomotive is 'diesel-electric'. Additionally, if the locomotive is equipped with dynamic brakes those same traction motors, in dymanic brake mode, become generators. The resistance they create aid in braking the train. The excess heat is then vented through a grid and fan system of the roof of the locomotive.

Hope this helps answer your question! :-D

#227150  by Malley

Didn't the Krauss-Maffei Diesel hydraulics use some sort of direct gear drive and driveshafts? I realize that these imports were not the norm, nor were they ultimately successful when competing with native products.
It was always my impression that they worked more on an automotive principle.
Malley

#227706  by spRocket

The K-M units, along with the Alco DH-643, used hydraulic torque converters, much like what are used in automotive automatic transmissions. Such drive systems are fairly common in Europe - but they haven't been successful in the US.

More information on the "Alco-Haulic"

#227732  by DutchRailnut

Maybe not on mainline Diesels but the hydrauling drive was very succesfull on Amtrak Turbo's and the RDC's.