Railroad Forums 

• Question about a signal aspect when Slow Clear can't be used

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#1028078  by Lackawanna565

The tri light signals that NJT use with the six lights and the color position signal that Amtrak uses don't show that aspect. The tri light shows restricting and position ones show slow approach. I'm curious how does the engineer knows he getting a slow clear out of the signals instead of being prepared to stop at the next signal or move at restricted speed. When I was at Leaman Interlocking on the Keystone Corridor this past July. Westbound trains were switching over with the signal showing slow approach and were moving at full speed where the next signals should be. The area is in rule 562 territory. Does the cab signal upgrade to clear when it passes a certian point after the interlocking?
 #1028673  by ExCon90

I think the short answer is the engineer doesn't know until he gets a more favorable cab-signal indication once he's through the interlocking. It doesn't have to be 562 territory; even in 261 territory (and 251 with the current of traffic), as long as it has cab signals, once the cab signal changes to a more favorable indication he's governed by that. Absent cab signals, he's stuck with Restricting or Slow-Approach until he reaches the next signal.
 #1029321  by ThirdRail7

Lackawanna565 wrote:The tri light signals that NJT use with the six lights and the color position signal that Amtrak uses don't show that aspect. The tri light shows restricting and position ones show slow approach. I'm curious how does the engineer knows he getting a slow clear out of the signals instead of being prepared to stop at the next signal or move at restricted speed. When I was at Leaman Interlocking on the Keystone Corridor this past July. Westbound trains were switching over with the signal showing slow approach and were moving at full speed where the next signals should be. The area is in rule 562 territory. Does the cab signal upgrade to clear when it passes a certian point after the interlocking?

I typed a long, two part response when what you're really asking hit me.

I was confused by your slow clear comment. The reality of the situation is you're asking about how you proceed after you pass a Slow Approach signal. Excon is basically right. As long as the cab signals initially conform to the Approach Slow signal, if they upgrade or downgrade between the signals, then movement is governed by cab signal indication.

Without cab signals, movement is governed by the indication of the signal. In your example, you would approach the next signal at medium speed after clearing the interlocking. If you fit the criteria of rule 243 (Next Governing Signal) you could govern you movement accordingly.

In case of the restricting, rule 243 doesn't apply, so you'd approach the next signal at restricted speed and proceed 1 train length passed the next signal (assuming it is favorable) before you could increase your speed.

In 562 territory, you'd most likely have a Form D or a Clear to the Next Interlocking signal prior to the signal being displayed for your movement, you you'd operate accordingly. If you didn't, it's restricted speed to the next interlocking. That is frowned upon.
 #1029332  by amtrakhogger

My 2 cents. High position light signals (either color or amber) do not display a "slow clear" indication. When there is a operating situation that one that slow speed is required, the "best indication" displayed will be a "slow approach" (by default.)