Railroad Forums 

• Q62904 dumps 37 East of Utica 9/4

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#49980  by videobruce

Q62904 on 9/4 at 140pm derailed the 7th to the 34th head cars between MP231 and MP233. Some of the cars went into the Erie Canal and there are reports of tank cars leaking into the canal. Extensive damage to both tracks.

116 was the last of the EB's in the afternoon with 5 EB's stored between CP434 and CP429.
113 was the last WB. 157 & 165 (I believe) were called out of DeWitt to go west.
160 was detoured over the NS at Draw, 110 is going east but will go south at DeWitt (attention SuzyQ fans)!

The track isn't expected back until Monday. There are reports of a broken rail.
Last edited by videobruce on Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#49994  by videobruce

There is a nice brand new UP U-boat sitting at 431 on tk. 3 just waiting for it's picture to be taken...................

DeWitt is pretty plugged with between 5 to 8 or more eastbounds in that area or just west of there. Very few WB's got through, don't know how many are stacked between Selkirk and the derailment.

Lucky this isn't a Saturday before a holiday weekend.................

#49996  by trainfreak

Thanks for the train information. CSX will be having a fun Labor Day this year. If you hear of anymore detours going down the NYSW could you please post about them? Thanks in advance.

#50000  by videobruce

There are enough ES's out there that could qualify depending on where they go. 110 was to only one for sure. For those around DeWitt, keep your ears to your radio, you will hear them announce recrew points.

You SuzyQ fans; just how many trains are there between DeWitt and Binghamton and do NYSW crews take them east on the NS from Binghamton?
Last edited by videobruce on Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#50005  by O-6-O

Just reported on channel 2 news, NYS Dept of Envi Con will take lead in
clean up efforts because of Haz Mat concerns. Report says NO tank cars
leaked their contents into the air or Barge Canal as earlier thought.
Clean up my take awhile as cars are stacked up like cord wood.(my
opinion). NS and NYS&W will handle detours for a couple of days I'll bet
Stay tuned.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--:-oo--oo-

#50010  by trainfreak

Im not to up on NYSW Northern Division train frequencies but i would say that made 1 or 2 trains a day each way. And NYSW crews do run the trains from Bingo east.

#50014  by crrip99

BRUCE "YOU DO IT ALL" LOL

#50050  by videobruce

For you D&H boys; is there way from the Tier back north to Selkirk around Hoffmans or somewhere or is that gone? IOW's, a detour on the Erie going east then back north for Selkirk.

Amtrak 286 is running from the Falls this morning.
Last edited by videobruce on Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

#50055  by videobruce

Minor.............Winters will have that cleared in no time.

No injuries reported.

#50083  by CP169

Too bad the West Shore from Utica to Rotterdam isn't still in existance.

#50220  by uticajack

Must be that the line just reopened. Heard an eastbound whistle going down the valley

#50234  by O-6-O

This morning I tried to drive to the wreck site to no avail. Too much brush
and growth to see from Rt-5 or 5s and River St. Heard crews on scanner
though, they had loads of work to do. I came back from Saratoga tonite and
2 trains that were parked in Utica area were still there. Don't know when
line will be open. I've always worried one of these will happen near the
station. YIKES!!!

STEAM ON
/--OOO--:-oo--oo-

#50247  by trainfreak

So does anyone know for sure if the line has been reopened as of 9:58 p.m. on Sunday night?

#50254  by videobruce

Track one was back at 6pm
Track two should be after midnight.

Three WB vans and a passenger train (probably 49) were first through, then the seven EB's that are stacked up behind the derailment as far as DeWitt (not counting what is in DeWitt yard to go east and the 3 or 4 additional that are on the road from today.
112, 114 & 140 went east out of Buffalo today and 626 will go around midnight.

The five EB's west of 429 still have to go. Should be no problem getting crews on Labor day.............

Some went over the NS at Cwd. (Cleveland) from DrawBridge south on the old PRR (I beleive) but don't know who or how many.

One car was in the canal (or at least down the bank) and reports of tank car(s) leaking are still sketchy. There is extensive damage to the bridge (unknown if it is just track or the bridge itself).