Railroad Forums 

• Q62904 dumps 37 East of Utica 9/4

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#51842  by videobruce

It is still hearsay (one above a rumor).

Anyway, it's track related.
 #53482  by erievalley

Roadster,
Has MofW done anything with the bad "dip" on track 2 at CP-402 just before the interlocking eastbound? Have seen a few white hats around there, but not much being done. Jerry.

#53511  by roadster

just the usual 40 mph speed restriction. Same for track one west of CP 402 between the interlocking and the creek bridge, 2 bad soft spots near the old depot.

#53516  by jhdeasy

TOMT7X wrote: Then everything came to a grinding halt. The DS placed almost all trains to a stop at CP188 in Fonda. Then as for Amtrak, as she was nearing Fonda, was forced to roll back all the way to Albany.(with the classic PRR heavyweight on the back as a "leader") That Amtrak was P287. Had a video of it going backwards.

The private car you saw on the rear end of Amtrak 287, which backed up from the Fonda area all the way to Albany - Rensselaer, is a lightweight built by Budd in 1952 as parlor car PRR 7142 ROGER WILLIAMS. It is now a parlor/dining car renamed GREENWICH HARBOR. The owners' plans for a Labor Day weekend trip from New York to Niagara Falls and return were thwarted by the derailment.

http://www.aaprco.com/cgi-bin/cardispla ... arbor:name

#53681  by uticajack

A general question about the private car? Who pays for the car moves when the original move is not fulfilled or cannot be fulfilled?

#54345  by roadster

erievalley,
FYI, the 40mph restriction on track 2 at cp402 is gone, but there is now a 25mph restriction from cp 402 west to the creek bridge on track one due to several large soft spots. As I mentioned to Bruce the yesterday. If a heat kink were to blame for the Utica wreck, these soft spots of mud are a prime candidates because there is little to no ballast around the ties to hold them in place. The spot right next to cp 402 has mud pushed up nearly to the top of the rail head like a playdoe machine.

#54394  by O-6-O

It was 82 deg. that day. Heat kink? I don't think so. A reliable source
(MOW) told me it was a broken rail. Looking at some rail around Utica
station I would not doubt it. No I'm not an expert on roadway matters
but some defects are visible to event the novice. I watched 4 trains
pass thru the site Sunday, looked kind of strange shifting to the north
on this shoefly. Still have the"s" boards up on both tracks.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--:-oo--oo-

#55424  by Howiew

joshuahouse wrote:Why did the PRR have a car named for the founder of Rhode Island, or is this some other Roger Williams?
The car was assigned to the Senator which ran Washington - Boston. The train carried both PRR and NH cars. It may be since the car did travel through New England it was named as such. Just a guess on my part.