Railroad Forums 

• Q62904 dumps 37 East of Utica 9/4

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#50308  by CP169

If I recall, that was a 4 track bridge. So, maybe a realingment is in progress.

#50394  by videobruce

What/who was that detour?
That is a four track bridge, I believe 2 separate spans (the NYC was 4 track NYC to Chicago untill 1957.

That area looks a little tough to access. Off route 5 (on the north side on the main) south of the T-Way there are 2 private xings either side of that bridge. I'm sure Winters and RJ Corman and the boys have made their own service road by now as they did around Alden 2 years ago to access CP423's derailment.
Last edited by videobruce on Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#50425  by trainfreak

I got to chase a detour on the NYSW down in NJ. The train was Q271 and it came though around 1 in the afternoon. Heres the chase description.

We were able to chase the Q271 for a little bit yesterday. It was a
very good chase as the longest wait for it was only 10 minutes. In
total we saw it in three locations here are my photos.

Here it is at Rich's Deli.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=42321

Next spot was Edison Rd in Ogdensburg.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=42322

After a quick stop at Walmart we caught it at ZINC going under the
viaduct.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=42323

It was a pretty good chase if only the weather was a little better.
I hope everyone likes the pictures.

#50517  by SimTrains

>>CSXT DERAILMENT FOLLOW-UP:
The derailment on the Albany Division's Mohawk Subdivision that involved train Q-629-04 occurred at 13:40 EDT at milepost QC 233.5. The train crew reported the train in emergency and then walked train. Upon inspection, the conductor found the 7th through 34th head cars derailed. One loaded hazardous materials car was located 10th from engine containing poisonous furfuryl alcohol, but was not leaking. The other hazardous materials cars involved were empty residue cars. Winters Rigging out of North Collins, NY, Fisher Crane out of Syracuse, NY, and R. J. Corman out of Newburgh, NY were all ordered to the scene to help with the clean up. Initial damage estimates are to equipment $500,000 dollars and track and signal $250,000 dollars. So far, two trains have now detoured, a westbound autorack train is operating via the D&H and Norfolk Southern through Binghamton, NY and Buffalo, NY and a priority westbound intermodal train is operating via Norfolk Southern and Harrisburg, PA.

#50567  by videobruce

Other than that 271, 285 also detoured via the NS.

Reports are the crew thought the engines hit the bridge just before the train derailed by the noise that was heard and what was felt.

To keep things even more interesting, Q620 just out of DeWitt had a signal held against them doing around 10mph less than 2 miles away when they heard what happened. Had the train had signals it probably would of put them beside or just in front of 629 when he derailed! 620 stopped 1 1/2 miles from 629's head end.

EB's are running out of Buffalo, but being delayed one to three hours for crews. They have been parking them all day on and off.

I just noticed I had the wrong month and no one said anything............

#50636  by TOMT7X

"don't know how many are stacked between Selkirk and the derailment."

I was in Selkirk-Cranesville for 3 days by the time they got derailed. Q629 had a CEFX Bluebird-UP C40-8-and another CEFX SD40M-2 painted in UP with red nose white stripes Got the video of it cruising thru Cranesville before the derailment. Then hours later I had a friend of mine showed up to railfan with me, and he heard my scanner constantly talking about utica.. Thjen many westbounds are starting to come out of CP169. First was Q119, then Q285 then Q169 then Q283 and lastly, Amtrak.

Then everything came to a grinding halt. The DS placed almost all trains to a stop at CP188 in Fonda. Then as for Amtrak, as she was nearing Fonda, was forced to roll back all the way to Albany.(with the classic PRR heavyweight on the back as a "leader") That Amtrak was P287. Had a video of it going backwards.

Then, I knew there was nothing we can do, but just to go back in the motel and relax in the Pool. Then next morning as I was heading back home to CT, I stopped at Selkirk, there was over 15 westbounds lined up waiting and ready. The recieving yard is nearly empty but few westbounds parked. Then at the River Line, there was 4 northbounds (westbounds) stacked each other from end of train to locomotive to conserve track space. Thats when I got the GM Demo 71 went highballing South on Q417.

Indeed a good weekend!!
TOMT7X
Dave

#50645  by videobruce

What was that heavyweight on the rear end??

#50710  by crrip99

to the #1 clerk..............................."YOU DO IT ALL"........ BRUCE!!!!!!!!

#50835  by roadster

Worked an L116 last night Dewitt - Selkirk. Both tracks open 25 mph restriction through the site about 3/10s of a mile of track rebuilt. Many cars still at scene, most have been "parked" in nearby fields awaiting disposition. The derailment occured west of the canal bridge itself, but there is a small grider bridge over a small creek which appears to have sustained damage to the southside next to track 2. At this time Track 2 allignment has been skewed over the site to follow track ones original allignment and track one is now offset accordingly following the old Track 3 allignment which would now be the service road. I believe this was done because of the damage to the south girder of this small bridge. A temporary "sho-fly" situation. Also of note, the automatic signals are out between CP 235 and CP 225 and by Bulletin order ABS Rules are suspended between these 2 points and DCS rules now apply. Trains must obtain a Form D line 2 to operate between CP 235 and CP 225.

#50854  by O-6-O

Lots of radio chatter today as ND had to Form D all movements through
wreck site. ( for sale: very used tank cars, many to choose from, hurry
folks these won't last) Things are getting back to normal.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--:-oo--oo-
 #50856  by TOMT7X

videobruce wrote:What was that heavyweight on the rear end??
Its all stainless steel in silver color. but has the brown "Pennsylvania" lettering and brown band across the top. I will upload a pix on my website soon and will let u all know.

Dave
TOMT7X

#50898  by videobruce

Hey roadster, time for some Block Towers at each end.................

The broken rail theory is out and the 'Heat Kink' is in for the cause.

#51581  by TOMT7X

videobruce wrote:Hey roadster, time for some Block Towers at each end.................

The broken rail theory is out and the 'Heat Kink' is in for the cause.

CSXT should have left the draggers alone. When CSXT took over CR, CSXT had the nerve to kill every DED across NY State in few days later. so dont blame it on heat kinks.. Blame it on to CSXT rich boys for eliminating them. There is used to be a dragger called "Schuyler" right on that spot, 200 feet after it derailed.

TOMT7X

#51757  by roadster

Heat Kink?, Is that what they're calling those big mud sinkholes in tracks nowadays? I realize that the temps reached a blistering 85 degrees that day but come on be real. I suspect that's what their blaming instead of the lack of maintainance. Today after all the rain there were washout problems near Fairport and Palmyra, with temp speed orders in place untill the banks were stabilized with riprap.