Railroad Forums 

• PVL freight power...

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #689434  by airman00

I know that there is a very limited amount of freight left on the PVL, just 2-3 customers? Why don't they just use a switch engine like a sw 1500? Weren't they designed as a road switcher anyway?
 #689463  by gp80mac

What is the PVL?

SW1500s don't have bathrooms in them, and many of those switchers don't have ditchlights.
 #690821  by Kaback9

Pascack Valley Line is what he is referring to, freight on the line in based out of Croxton, but the line in owned by New Jersey Transit and Metro North. Airman not everyone on this site is from the NY Tristate area, keep that in mind when posting.
 #693883  by airman00

I apoligize for not expounding on my question. What I meant was on the Pascack Valley line owned by NJ Transit and Metro North railroads, Norfolk Southern operates any remaining freight on that line. (this is in bergen county NJ) my guess is since it's basically like local freight since there's so few customers left on that line, just 2-3?...and no customers north of emerson, NJ, why not just use an SW1500 to do the jobs. Save the bigger engines for heavier and longer transports. It would be nice to see a sw1500 around here, since there are so few in NJ. (and none in bergen county, NJ)
 #693885  by Kaback9

airman00 wrote:I apoligize for not expounding on my question. What I meant was on the Pascack Valley line owned by NJ Transit and Metro North railroads, Norfolk Southern operates any remaining freight on that line. (this is in bergen county NJ) my guess is since it's basically like local freight since there's so few customers left on that line, just 2-3?...and no customers north of emerson, NJ, why not just use an SW1500 to do the jobs. Save the bigger engines for heavier and longer transports. It would be nice to see a sw1500 around here, since there are so few in NJ. (and none in bergen county, NJ)
As noted there are no bathrooms in the units, also the work of an SW can be done by a Geep just as well not to mention I think its safer to be in a GP38-2 than an SW if there was a collision or incident of some sort.